A Clash of Allies

Latedave is running a 2k WFB campaign using the Blood in the Badlands supplement.
Forum rules
Be excellent to each other
Rab
Ancient Muppet

Re: A Clash of Allies

Post by Rab » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:38 am

The Raven surveyed the battlefield, Orion was defeated..slain by a carnosaur and its lizard rider. Two mighty treeman were cracked and broken and the Wild Riders had finally succumbed to the relentless Sauarian warriors. Alarian and Caerith-sur seemed unable to break through the enchantments of the bloated mage priest despite being licked in combat for what had felt like an age. Bruen the beast lord had left the battlefield, the bodyguard he had been assigned was unable to deal with the sheer bulk of the charging dinosaur. She herself had not tasted battle yet, but with Orion's death the blood lust that had filled the wood elves had faded. It was time to withdraw and resume their search for the flying fastness.

A good game was had. It was long ( 8 hours ) but we did manage to finish all 6 turns. The size of the table was great as it allowed for armies of this size to manoeuvre.

We were a bit frazzled at the end, so we didn't work out VPs exactly but we think that Dave's Lizardmen had a small victory due to the massive points sink that is Orion and his Wild Riders ( 1200 points ! )

Key/Amusing moments;

[list=]Waywatchers lethal shot on a carnosaur riding old blood in turn one :)
Orion being unable to wound the 1+ re rollable armour save old blood on the OTHER carnosaur.
The big block Wild Riders managing to stay in a 4 turn grind with a big block of Saurus.
The Dragon was unable to hit anything ( I rolled 5 1s in one turn! ) and then The Highborn being unable to do any wounds to the etheral 4+ ward save Slaan.
One of the Slaan miscasting and losing 2 wizard levels in order to cast a pointless buff :)
A mighty unit of 8 Cold One Riders smashing into a unit of 8 Dryads only to get their scaly buts kicked ( 4 dead Saurus and no wounds on the dryads :) )
The Carnosaur failing his charge, due to a fleeing unit of Glade Guard and ending up well and truly in the 'kill zone' ( an arc of 54 Glade Guard )[/list]

I think my most effective units were the 64 glade guard ( I didn't lose any at all ). Their victims included a carnosaur, countless temple guard and a salamander unit. I managed to control Dave's magic phase pretty well until about turn 4. 3 extra dispel dice and re-rolls to dispel helped a lot here. Losing the extra dispel dice when Orion and then the branch wraith died changed that for the last few turns, but by then one of Dave's Slaan was locked in a never ending combat and the other was out of position for most spells.

I will post some photos shortly for those who are interested.

Rab
Ancient Muppet

Post by Rab » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:48 am

Deployment..

Start of Turn 3...

Well, you get the idea!

effigy22
Ancient Muppet

Post by effigy22 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:51 am

Rab, i keep meaning to ask - do you build your own movement trays or get them somewhere? I quite like them - more than the GW ones anyway.

Rab
Ancient Muppet

Post by Rab » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:02 pm

Dane,

They are from http://www.sarissa-precision.co.uk/store/trays/. They usually arrive a few days after ordering. I have had some custom orders put through ( as apparently 7x2 20mm skirmish trays aren't common! ) and they also arrived promptly.

Quite cheap, sturdy and the skirmish trays are a real help.

I am slowly replacing all my old GW trays with these.

I order them without bases to try and preserve the look with the rest of my army as I don't have the time/energy to rebase.

While the square edges look wider than the GW ones..they aren't but they do provide better support for the models.

Rab.

effigy22
Ancient Muppet

Post by effigy22 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:43 pm

Cheers Rab, i have now just bought some for my Daemons! MUAHAHA!

Latedave
Ancient Muppet

Post by Latedave » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:32 pm

Chi'nox had followed the advice of the strange knight, whilst many skinks had been killed the chief had remained cautiously out to the side, avoiding the brutal melee's between the Wood Elves and the Krox. Survival had been uppermost in his mind and fortunately in the end the lizards had carried the day. Many important Saurus warriors lay dead and the Slann would need to some new blood to lead the scouting parties, hopefully nowhere near the forests...

Great game with Rab, Warhammer really takes on a new dimension at this kind of level. In the end I think really its the points costs of Rab's hard hitting units that cost him rather than any tactical genius on my part. Wood Elves just don't like being bogged down in combat and the 3D6 and close proximity of my Slann and BSB meant even when he won the initial combats the lizards wouldn't break and I could afford the war of attrition much more than he could.

That all said the Glade Guard managed turn after turn of withering firepower and losing the carnie old blood to killing blow in turn 1 was pretty comedy! On the other hand the chief on his steggie performed magnificently and the other carnie killed orion so the big stuff still performed well.

Magic was definitely a disappointment, The lore of death Slann became bogged down in combat and both Slann's miscast. Fortunately I got lucky and the dragon went for the Slann who was etheral and had the featherfoe torc in his unit which really helped tie up one of Rab's most dangerous units (that and his shocking dice rolling). Magic generally was very ineffective though which was a surprise to both of us with 4d6 power dice.

Anyway good game, highlight for me definitely was the Old Blood and Carnie killing Orion and then failing a 2+ armour save, the reroll and the 5 up ward save and dying to dryads!

Psiclops
Ancient Muppet

Post by Psiclops » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:34 am

My only criticism would be - river stopping mid board ?! - how did you not put the cave scenery piece at the end of the river sections to make it look like it went underground ?

Latedave
Ancient Muppet

Post by Latedave » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:33 pm

I was hoping there would be a little puddle or something. Problem is lizards love the water like Rab's Elves love the woods so it would have been a major advantage if it had stretched too far. Cave is a good idea though. Really did enjoy it, the clash in the middle when the majority of the infantry met was pretty immense, so much so in fact the my Slann miscast with the excitement of it all!

Return to “Blood in the Badlands campaign”