Storm of Magic?

Want a game? Post here to find an opponent. Once you've got one, don't forget to book a table here http://sadmuppets.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=72
Forum rules
Be excellent to each other
Latedave
Ancient Muppet

Re: Storm of Magic? - help I've been a muppet!

Post by Latedave » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:34 pm

Rab

I stupidly put your card in with my receipts and have just shredded it! Can you text your address to 07802907519 and I'll head to mychett anyway now on the expectation that hopefully you'll check the forum when I'm late!

Dave

Chilledenuff

Re: Storm of Magic?

Post by Chilledenuff » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:00 am

Shame we didn't get to the end, but fun was had.... not sure about the Storm of Magic rules though.... I think standard Warhammer may have been better, things learnt?

1. BSB is a must :doh:
2. Trebuchets hurt if they hit!
3. Infernal Puppet is broken
4. Next time will have to be on a not working next day date so we can finish
5. Dwarfs shouldn't meddle in magic
6. A 160 point night goblin unit can take on the might of brettonian knights and their peasant friends :D

Fun was had, too early for any kind of good write up but what did other people think?
Smile! It's not that bad!
'05: Pixie Jam Trophy winner
'07: A Small Matter of Honour Runner Up
'11: Bruce McGrath Award
'12: Bruce McGrath Award
'14: Pixie Jam Trophy Winner
'15: Bruce McGrath Award
1974-Present: Awful dice rolls

Rab
Ancient Muppet

Post by Rab » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:55 am

Other things learned:

1. LateDave is well named
2. It takes ages to deploy 18,000 points plus storm of magic monsters and magic.
3. There isn't as much as room as you think on an 8' x 4' table
4. take a BSB…. :)

As for the Storm of magic rules, I don't think the 2 rounds played really allowed time for the big magic to really get involved ( other than infernal gateway ). e.g. we had just achieved dominance, and my sorceresses were only just getting into range for most of their spells.
The objective focused nature of the games ( controlling fulcrums ) didn't really have time to develop, as we were still largely in the positioning and destroying key enemy unit stage. 4D6 power dice sounds like a lot, but the opponent has loads of anti magic options. I think, rather counter intuitively, a smaller one on one game for SoM may be more appropriate for the expansion.

I think we were massively optimistic about managing to do such a big game starting at 8 on school night, still it was great to see two massive fantasy armies line up against each other, makes a big change from the Warbands campaign!

-Rab

Chilledenuff

Post by Chilledenuff » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:10 am

I forgot it was 18k in total (not including wibbly SOM stuff! I was discussing with Paul on the way back and we also thought SOM would be better as a 1 on 1 game.

We do need to organise a big all day game I think at some point, last night was fun (thanks again for hosting btw!) and mayhap next time the Empire won't chicken out and the Brettonians will be on time. I feel for the dwarves having to ally with such whimsical allies :mrgreen:
Smile! It's not that bad!
'05: Pixie Jam Trophy winner
'07: A Small Matter of Honour Runner Up
'11: Bruce McGrath Award
'12: Bruce McGrath Award
'14: Pixie Jam Trophy Winner
'15: Bruce McGrath Award
1974-Present: Awful dice rolls

Rab
Ancient Muppet

some piccies...

Post by Rab » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:38 am

As we were a bit rushed for time..only a few, but should give a flavour.

ImageImageImage

Anonymity preserved for the innocent :)

daniel_cave00
The muppet with many names

Post by daniel_cave00 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:45 am

Anonymity preserved for the innocent

All apart from Paul I see...

Sounds like Apoc to me... Takes too long to deply. The cool things are cool but either dominate or dont really make a difference. Overall its easier to just play a regular game which is larger and add/subtract specific rules. Needs an entire day and by that point makes it boring because if you are destroyed early in the day tough luck.

Man I hate APOC!!!!

2011 - Mavis
2010 - Randolph
2009 - Sally
2008 - Ben

Migraines suck!!!

Rab
Ancient Muppet

Post by Rab » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:08 pm

don't be a hater dude...

Latedave
Ancient Muppet

Post by Latedave » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:45 pm

I think its a bit different from Apoc because essentially shooting isn't that effective (hellcannon and trebuchets aside) so I suspect once everything clashed in the middle for close combat it would of been over pretty quickly one way or another rather than the more gradual attrition I would imagine you'd get from 40k. The fulcrums add a tactical element which I think is more suited to 1v1.

Have to say I really enjoyed it, it resonated in way Warhammer hasn't really for me so far but I do agree possibly a normal game would work better for multiple players. I'm hopefully playing apocalypse soon with Carl so I'll ping something up about how I found that but one thing I really like in Warhammer anything can be wounded on a roll of a six which means even the ridicolous monsters can be taken down through numbers. Unlike say a Titan which is just looks OP to me from the stats.

daniel_cave00

Post by daniel_cave00 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:18 pm

Latedave wrote: Unlike say a Titan which is just looks OP to me from the stats.

Wait until you see it shoot its first Strength D weapon and remove a tank completely, then have a Strength D template land on a Squad of tanks and you will see how crazy it gets.

Sorry to be a hater but its too easy to hate APOC and anything which looks like it.

2011 - Mavis
2010 - Randolph
2009 - Sally
2008 - Ben

Migraines suck!!!

poi
Chief Muppet

Post by poi » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:22 pm

It might be worth trying a smaller SoM game, say 2k, which would give you 500 points of SoM goodies, to see how it plays out.
Poi

Return to “Finding a game”