Grimdark Tales - Rules and Sign-ups here!

After the success of the WFB event, January 2011 will see the start of a similar event for 40k.
Forum rules
Be excellent to each other
phil
Ancient Muppet

Grimdark Tales - Rules and Sign-ups here!

Post by phil » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:38 pm

Hi folks

As promised, here is the final ruleset for the Grimdark Tales 2011 Warhammer 40,000 challenge.

The competition is split into two parts - Hobby and Battle - and spread over a 6 month period. They will run parallel and you may enter either one or the other, or both. You do not need to use the same army for both Paths, but you must use the same army within each Path.

The schedule for the competition is as follows:

January 25: 500pts
February 22: 750pts (ie, an additional 250pts)
March 29: 1000pts
April 26: 1250pts
May 31: 1500pts
June 28: 1750pts

The following two posts set out the rules for each Path.
-- Dutch --

phil
Ancient Muppet

Re: Grimdark Tales - Rules and Sign-ups here!

Path of Hobby

The aim here is to encourage painting and modelling, so over the course of the six months you'll need to have painted up a set amount of points per milestone (as set out above). You must stick to a single, current Codex (no allies), but models do not have to adhere to a force organisation chart; nor do they have to build up each week as the same army line-up.

Some may choose to start a new army from scratch and do it this way, but others may take the opportunity to catch up with an existing army. As long as it is the same Codex, and the minimum points limit each month is hit, using anything painted after December 1, 2010, it's okay.

The deadline each month will be the last Tuesday of the month, and you will be required to present your newly-painted models on that date at an SMS evening. If you're unable to make that specified Tuesday, you may notify us in advance and present your completed models on an earlier SMS evening.

Definition of a painted model: it requires at least three colours/shades, and be fully based (ie, not just painted), as a minimum. Those going to greater lengths will receive unbridled adulation from the SMS community. Obviously. Models do not need to be sourced from Games Workshop, but they do need to be representative of units from the Codex you have chosen.

Anybody hitting each deadline and presenting their painted models to the club each month will be entitled to a £20 (or thereabouts) boxed set of their choice at the end of the competition.
-- Dutch --

phil
Ancient Muppet

Path of Battle

The aim here is to get those 40K players who already have fully-painted armies (or aren't really interested in the Hobby angle so much) the opportunity to get involved too - as well as something a bit more structured for those starting new armies, and something a bit more substantial each month than 'just another game'.

Each month (on the deadline evening) you will need to play a 40K game against another participating player, at the maximum points level set out in the schedule above.

The first two monthly games will be run on Champion of Champion rules: CLICK HERE

Thereafter normal 40K rulebook scenarios will apply.

Your armies must always be taken from the same, current Codex (no allies) but does not need to follow strict escalation rules. The Battle army need not be from the same Codex as your Hobby army, if you are also competing in that.

For each battle you will need to record the results - according to the scenario given - and those results be submitted to me (via email, or on the forum).

After the six rounds those in the top three will all be entitled to a £20 (or thereabouts) boxed set of their choice. The overall winner may or may not receive a special bonus memento as well, along with the title of "Grimdark Tales Champions, 2011". In the event of a tie for the lead, we may arrange a special play-off to decide the outright winner.

If you know in advance that you're unable to make a Battle evening in any given month, you may opt to fight your battle on the preceding or following weeks as long as any potential opponents are agreeable - those opponents must use that Battle as their monthly results. Please let me know in advance so that I don't disqualify you :-)
Last edited by phil on Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
-- Dutch --

phil
Ancient Muppet

Post by phil » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:39 pm

Please use this thread to indicate your involvement - which Path you're taking, and which armies you'll be using. Each entrant can start their own thread in this forum to keep us all up-to-date on progress if you choose.

If you have any questions or a rule is unclear, please also post here, and we'll do our best to answer you.

Please note that one exception has been agreed upon for the Path of Hobby: Astryd is away for a significant portion of January, so will catch up in time for the February schedule.

Good luck!
-- Dutch --

daniel_cave00
The muppet with many names

Post by daniel_cave00 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:49 pm

I <name to be decided in January> shall be following path of Battle. I have no staying power when it comes to painting minis so I will not waste anyones time by signing up in the first place.

I havent decided if I will be doing Demons yet or just Marines. Likely Marines but you never know :)

2011 - Mavis
2010 - Randolph
2009 - Sally
2008 - Ben

Migraines suck!!!

poi
Chief Muppet

Post by poi » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:13 pm

I shall be doing both. Eldar for the Path of Battle, Nids for the Path of Hobby.

One question. Can I get ahead of schedule with my painting? With 10 models to paint, that shouldn't be too tricky, and it means I don't have to worry about falling behind whilst I'm on holiday at the end of Janary. I'll be bringing my 500 points down early. Two models to kick me off :)
Poi

porrter
Cinderella

Post by porrter » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:15 pm

path of battle=imperial guard
path of hobby=imperial guard

martin
P.S dont eat the yellow snow

phil
Ancient Muppet

Post by phil » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:16 pm

There's nothing to stop you getting ahead of schedule; in fact if you know you're going to be away it's a good idea.

You can finish your painting as soon as you like! If you complete it all within the first couple of months, it's a fantastic opportunity to add lots and lots of detail, conversions, basing, etc ;-)

For the record:

Hobby: Space Wolves
Batttle: Space Wolves (gulp!)
-- Dutch --

poi
Chief Muppet

Post by poi » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:18 pm

phil wrote:You can finish your painting as soon as you like! If you complete it all within the first couple of months, it's a fantastic opportunity to add lots and lots of detail, conversions, basing, etc ;-)

it's a fantastic opportunity to put my feet up and do no more painting til RR is on the horizon
Poi

daniel_cave00

Post by daniel_cave00 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:00 pm

That doesnt sound right, no panic last minute painting means you arent getting into the true spirit of tournament gaming ;)

2011 - Mavis
2010 - Randolph
2009 - Sally
2008 - Ben

Migraines suck!!!

Return to “Grimdark Tales 2011”