Sons of Fenris, arise!

After the success of the WFB event, January 2011 will see the start of a similar event for 40k.
Forum rules
Be excellent to each other
phil
Ancient Muppet

Re: Sons of Fenris, arise!

Post by phil » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:44 pm

Lovely, thanks Richard.
-- Dutch --

phil
Ancient Muppet

Post by phil » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:42 pm

Oooooof.

That was the sound of marauding Orkses battering beleaguered Space Wolves last night. And a comprehensive thumping it was too! Luckily, that much wasn't unexpected :)

A good game, played in good grace, and lots of valuable lessons learned... including yet another instance of **must stop thinking like a WHFB general!!**

In summary:

Turn one, nothing happened (Dawn of War).

Turn two I find out what a Deff Roller is like - Grey Hunters fail morale check, but don't run far enough to rally. Drop pod brings in Dreanought 1. It explodes after taking out a couple of Orks. Highlight is Blood Claws plus Battle Leader taking out the Bike Squad - unexpected and welcome. But it was only downhill from there.

Turn three and the other Dreadnought lands on target - but multi-melta shot misses from short range. Dreadnought subsequently dies. Grey Hunters are rally-blocked by reservist Defkopter. Cunning. They leave the building. Battle Leader suicude charges a big Ork squad and dies. Oh well - he would have been shot anyway.

Turn four sees the Land Raider deposit some Terminators, but they fail to break the squad of Orks they assault. Oh dear.

Turn five and the Terminators land 11 hits on the Ork squad and 2 on the Defkopter. But only 2 wounds on the squad, and the Defkopter saves. Cataclysmic.

Turn six and the utter desolation of three Orks wiping out the last of the Terminators, after only two more wounds were scored. Disgraceful, but in keeping with the general theme of decline and slaughter :-) The game ends there, and the only thing that remains on the board is the Land Raider (minus its main weapon).

Result, I think, was Fergus winning 6 - 2 on kill points. Frankly, that scoreline flatters me somewhat!

Having thought on it since, there are a few things I'd do differently with the same line-up. First of all, the Multi-melta Dreadnought picked the wrong target. Even if it had missed, it should have kept out of the way of the big shooty truck thing that poured 45 shots or whatever into it. The other Dreadnought was also horribly unprotected, and maybe should have taken a different path.

Meanwhile, now I know what Deff Rollers actually do, so that squad would have stayed out of the way as far as possible, while the pointlessness of moving marines through cover didn't occur to me until far too late. Had I just moved normally there's a good chance I could have taken a chunk out of the big Ork squad in time for the Termies to settle the score. And the Land Raider moved too slowly in the wrong direction.

Most of that, had it gone well, might have made the end result a bit less one-sided, but I doubt it would have prevented the loss. What I thought was a fairly safe, assault-focused list just didn't have the right components to compete. Not sure what I'd have taken to fare better; by all accounts lots of people lose to Fergus, so I won't lose any sleep over it!

Anyway, well done sir - was good to play you, and thanks for the tips along the way!

Turn five, and it's speeding up now - one drop pod gone, another soon to go.
-- Dutch --

phil
Ancient Muppet

Post by phil » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:42 am

Well played last night, Martin. Another drubbing for the Wolves, showing that 500pts really is my level...!
-- Dutch --

phil
Ancient Muppet

Post by phil » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:07 am

I think this may be the first time I can remember that I'm entering the week of a painting deadline, and I'm all done. I completed the 250pts for this month last night - a Land Raider - and while (I'll be honest) I thought it was going to be a fairly easy month for me, I think it's actually taken longer than any other monthly challenge I've done before... although I'm not sure you can necessarily tell by looking!

Still, I'm pleased with the results. Full steam ahead for Tuesday night, and this month's Path of Battle too - I've played 2, won 2 at 1000pts so far, which means I'm guaranteed a loss when it really counts ;-)
-- Dutch --

phil
Ancient Muppet

Post by phil » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:19 am

Oof.

That was the sound of Straker getting his butt kicked.

However, it doesn't tell the full story. He began by seeing off my multi-melta Dreadnought (which was just gearing up to immobilise another piece of hardware), before combat with a unit of Grey Hunters. To be honest, I just thought I'd try and whittle down his squad and hope to take him out with the Land Raider or something, but the Dice Gods deserted Martin in a spectacular way. In close combat (first round) he missed or failed to wound with all his attacks, leaving us both speechless. With that done, he took two wounds - and another in the second round of combat. It's not like he didn't leave a mark... but wow, sorry Martin. That was seriously bad luck.

On the other hand, the medic from the command group, who'd gone to ground on the other side of the board, survived two entire shooting phases from a Land Raider Crusader, Dreadnought and Drop Pod. That's 8 x twin-linked Autocannon shots, 8 x normal Autocannon shots, 12 x twin-linked Hurricane Bolter shots and 8 x Storm Bolter shots. The rest of his squad was wiped out, but he stood tall (although lying flat in a crater) and passed all leadership tests. He deserves honours painted on him for that...

Anyway, thanks for the game, Martin - much appreciated, given it was a late starter.
-- Dutch --

porrter
Cinderella

Post by porrter » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:44 pm

:o 5 attacks hiting on 3s killing on 2s
oh well a few more bionics and he'll be as good as new
P.S dont eat the yellow snow

Return to “Grimdark Tales 2011”