Sons of Fenris, arise!

After the success of the WFB event, January 2011 will see the start of a similar event for 40k.
Forum rules
Be excellent to each other
phil
Ancient Muppet

Re: Sons of Fenris, arise!

Post by phil » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:21 am

A couple of unexpected victories last night (aren't they always?) - thanks for both games, chaps.

The first was pretty close - I believe Rich made the most of the terrain set-up and made it difficult for me to close him down... but man, that heavy melta turret's dice rolls were apalling. Just one casualty from five turns, and I think it's fair to say that's where you were let down. Luck plays a big part at lower points levels, clearly.

The second game was less about Dave's bad luck (killing your own units aside) and more about some extremely effective vehicle attacks. To have destroyed them both by the end of turn two - fortunate plasma gun shot and Dreadnought CC attack - was great fortune on my part. To be fair, after that it was always going to be tough...

I also can't claim any credit on the wins, given that I'm yet to fully understand the rules - but today was much quicker for me than last week as least, so I'm getting there!
-- Dutch --

infernal caretaker
Other Muppet

Post by infernal caretaker » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:35 am

rest assured, the grot pilot of that killa kan is now the owner of a 3 month ban!!!

note to self...

krak grenades are pesky! even against walkers!!!

really fun game, so thanks Phil, you seem to be picking up the rules nicely :)

(remind me not to play you for Path of battle this month!!!) :P
~Deus Ex Machina~
~For Ferrus Mannus, and the Omnissiah!~
Rule #14:
~Thou Shalt Not Install A Fridge In Thy Rhino To 'Cool Down' Thy Plasma Guns...~

fynn
Ancient Muppet

Post by fynn » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:01 am

yep, was a fun game last, and as always, i had my normal (bad) luck with my dice and done little to no damage to you, thank god i took that dread out, as for the crew of the devildog, they being shoved back in training untill they learn how to shoot straight, may have to rethink what to use for my 750pts next month, as im bound to face your SW's again, hmm maybe a couple of hydras instead of the devildog (need to drop a dozer blade from a chimera to get the extra 10 points i need, amd maybe use the hydras for my next 500pts points instead), as for the troops, they didnt do 2 bad and done a bit of damage (mainly the command squad), if the vets was alble to keep there distance, they may have done more damage

phil
Ancient Muppet

Post by phil » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:29 pm

Right - a few more tweaks this week.

First of all, I realised that I'd actually given my models plasma guns instead of meltas (frankly I didn't know the difference, but a weapons page helped show me that), so I've now reconstructed them with the correct weapons. Naturally GW didn't provide them on the battalion sprues, despite them being a pretty common weapon choice... thanks fro nothing ONCE AGAIN, GW. Thankfully I had some heavy weapon marines in from eBay that provided the needed parts.

Secondly I replaced the storm bolter arms with normal bolt pistols (again, lack of knowledge the cause there), so we're all consistent. In fact, only terminator options can take storm bolters, but of course there are no termies in the battalion, so once again a completely useless decision by GW on what to include on the sprues. Brilliant.

Thirdly I got around to adding the free flamer choice thanks to the kind donation of a flamer arm from Dan a couple of weeks ago.

And finally, with clarification of the Drop Pod rules (off the table = mishap!) and the lower likelihood of coming up against heavy (14) armour at this level, I've decided to lost the Drop Pod for the time being.

All that has meant a bunch of changes that disrupt the painting progress I'd made so far, but them's the breaks. With WYSIWYG causing a number of problems (I know, I'm sure people wouldn't have objected to a couple of abnormalities, but it is the generally-accepted standard, so may as well get used to it) at least now I have enough bits and pieces to build the units I want to field. Finally. Just means I'll be busy in the next 9 days!

Full amended list to follow.
-- Dutch --

phil
Ancient Muppet

Post by phil » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:37 pm

HQ: Battle Leader in Power Armour [70]

Troops: Blood Claws x 8 (inc Power Fist, Flamer) [145]

Troops: Grey Hunters x 10 (inc Power Fist, Melta Gun x 2) [180]

Elite: Dreadnought (with Multi-melta, Dreanought CC weapon) [105]

Total [500]
-- Dutch --

phil
Ancient Muppet

Post by phil » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:16 pm

From bad to worse.

While I've got the list and modelling sorted out now, my paint scheme trials are proving disasterous. What on paper seemed a relatively solid set of base colour, ink and highlight just looks a bit crap. And save for an extreme amount of attention to detail on each model - time which I don't have - I need to rethink with something simpler.

I have a solution in mind, but only 8 days to make it work, and then apply it to lots and lots of models.

:-(
-- Dutch --

daniel_cave00
The muppet with many names

Post by daniel_cave00 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:36 pm

Yeah the basecoat Space Wolves dont look too great. The grey is just too flat and even the ink doesnt really add depth.

Sadly Space Wolves are one of those armies that use a lot of highlighting and blending to look fantastic.

Shame Steve doesnt come down much with his anymore, his were beautiful. Matt Pintos too.

2011 - Mavis
2010 - Randolph
2009 - Sally
2008 - Ben

Migraines suck!!!

phil
Ancient Muppet

Post by phil » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:44 pm

To explain, I initially went for a Fenris Grey basecoat on a white primer. Then solid highlights of Space Wolves Grey, an Asurman Blue wash into the recesses, and then further highlights of Space Wolves Grey.

The issue is that there's too much contrast between the basecoat and highlights, so it just looks like the armour is dark but somebody's shining a bright light on it. And it's a matt finish, which doesn't help.

So the new plan is to go straight to Space Wolves Grey, wash Asurman Blue into the recesses, and leave it there. If I have time, re-highlight any areas that need it with SWG once again.

Another option that I might have tested was using Astronomican Grey as a basecoat; but I don't have time now, and it's probably not necessary. Will update with the new tester version, probably tonight. It's possible I may need to stay in tomorrow night to paint :doh:
-- Dutch --

daniel_cave00

Post by daniel_cave00 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:46 pm

Dutch,

You could just bring the paints and do it at the club :) Only joking, sucks when a plan doesnt come together.

Dont forget you can always repaint next month and just pick a single big unit to paint.

2011 - Mavis
2010 - Randolph
2009 - Sally
2008 - Ben

Migraines suck!!!

Dave R
Ancient Muppet

Post by Dave R » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:06 pm

You could also try a brown ink over Shadow grey. Will be quite a bit darker than space wolf grey with a blue ink but it would look more earthy.

Return to “Grimdark Tales 2011”