Sons of Fenris, arise!

After the success of the WFB event, January 2011 will see the start of a similar event for 40k.
Forum rules
Be excellent to each other
phil
Ancient Muppet

Re: Sons of Fenris, arise!

Post by phil » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:21 pm

Only if I can swap/pay for it :-)
-- Dutch --

Chilledenuff

Post by Chilledenuff » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:46 am

'k.. i'll bring it next meet
Smile! It's not that bad!
'05: Pixie Jam Trophy winner
'07: A Small Matter of Honour Runner Up
'11: Bruce McGrath Award
'12: Bruce McGrath Award
'14: Pixie Jam Trophy Winner
'15: Bruce McGrath Award
1974-Present: Awful dice rolls

phil
Ancient Muppet

Post by phil » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:06 am

Thanks Les.

Meanwhile, a successful outing for the Wolves last night - although that was more a combination of luck (two exploded tanks) and Dan being kind I suspect. I had no idea of what I was doing, anyway!

Thanks for the game, was a lot of fun, as usual. Given me plenty of ideas on how to expand next month... meanwhile time to get cracking with the painting!
-- Dutch --

daniel_cave00
The muppet with many names

Post by daniel_cave00 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:28 pm

Dutch,

It was a good game, sorry it went a bit slow in places I promise that your next game will be a little quicker because you should have the basics now even if you cant remember them all.

Just to clarify the whole drop pod fiasco, and to be smug, it turns out I was right. Not only do you risk a deep strike mishap if you scatter off the board but you do destroy your weapon if you enter normal terrain and roll a 1 on your dangerous terrain check.

I have looked through all of the FAQ's and there are no rule clarifications in any of the Marine based FAQs or the main rulebook one to contest this. Daves mate evidentially was confused or stretching another rule.

The only rule that I could find on this whole situation is the following:

Q: Can models move off the table? (p11)
A: Not unless a rule or the mission being played clearly
specify that they can. All good wargamers know that the
edge of the table is the end of the world!
- 40K Rulebook FAQ page 1

This overridden by the fact that the deepstrike rules clearly state that you can scatter off the board. It doesnt specify that it is impassable in this or any other rule that I can find, therefore the special rules for the drop pod doesnt come into affect and allow it to be deployed 1" from the table edge.

The only one I didnt look in is the Dark Angels one but that is because the PC I am forced to use is a bit broken and disconnected me.

Hopefully you werent forced to butcher your models too much, WYSIWYG is a pain but I forgot to tell you that most people wont really mind the odd infraction. However its best, especially if you intend to go to tournaments eventually, to keep things simple and clearly arm your dudes.

Still enjoy the painting.
The muppet with many names

2011 - Mavis
2010 - Randolph
2009 - Sally
2008 - Ben

Migraines suck!!!

fynn
Ancient Muppet

Post by fynn » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:42 pm

on the wysiwyg front, i should'nt worry about trying to cram grenades on your models, as i belive almost all standard troops (from 4th ed and up) like CSM, tact squads, guard units and so on, have frag grenades as standard listed kit. Main thing is to make sure they have the correct weapons like flamers, plasma guns and so.
If you need to use a proxy for a game or 2 (and for friendly games only) untill you get the bits you need, just make sure your opponent knows which one is a proxy model. like with me, im useing old school IG hellhounds as devildogs, unless i can aquire the bits to make a large melta cannon and swap the barrels over.

phil
Ancient Muppet

Post by phil » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:40 pm

Yeah, WYSIWYG is a bit of a pain. Less of a problem if you've collected an army for years and have had time to build up lots of variety, but starting out it's proven a bit trickier. Not knowing much about an army/game ruleset is compounded by limitations on models does make it less attractive in my opinion.

It's not really a long term concern, though. I've already managed to grab some heavy weapon marines from eBay, and it's not like I'm (A) expecting to win the Path of Battle (or even come close) or (B) enter any tournaments... so for the time being I'll stick to what I have available and take it from there.

I suspect anything more complex would be beyond me for the first couple of months anyway!

But that said, advice and suggestions are all welcome and appreciated, so thanks a lot for those :-)
-- Dutch --

fynn
Ancient Muppet

Post by fynn » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:49 pm

just remember, that anything listed as there standard wargare, like weapons, CCW and frag grenades you dont have to worry about, as it standard kit (plus ive seen a modell with all the kit on and it looks realy bad), its mainly special and heavy weapons you need to worry about, and things like power swords and power fists

phil
Ancient Muppet

Post by phil » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:53 pm

Yeah, that's cool - I'm not about to start sticking on grenades to Marines, or spirit stones to Eldar...

Although, as part of a diarama it would be cool to make a Wave Serpent with an actual holo-field effect... :D
-- Dutch --

phil
Ancient Muppet

Post by phil » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:29 am

Hmm, you know that point when you're just falling asleep that your mind starts to follow odd trains of thought? Maybe it's just me.

Anyway, I was pondering my Sons of Fenris, and it combined with some X-Factor headline I'd read earlier, to create a new possible entity in the Space Marine line-up: SPICE WOLVES. Oddly it started coming together as an idea - though, I stress, not one I plan on following up.

A couple of suggestions:

Blood Claws: Baby Spice
Dreadnought: Scary Spice

Got a bit stuck on Ginger Spice, though. And I couldn't remember the rest.

Weird, huh?
-- Dutch --

phil
Ancient Muppet

Post by phil » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:51 pm

Weird half-dreams aside, this past week has flown by, and I've hardly managed to do anything with the Wolves. A bit more paint on the drop pod, but not much. Hopefully some time tonight, or maybe tomorrow lunchtime - and possibly a slightly tweaked list to reflect different weapons...
-- Dutch --

Return to “Grimdark Tales 2011”