To war! For Sigmar!

To mark the launch of WFB8, a few of us are starting new armies, starting at 750 points and then growing in 250 point blocks.
Forum rules
Be excellent to each other
poi
Chief Muppet

Re: To war! For Sigmar!

Post by poi » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:46 pm

Phil

I'll take that challenge, with my skaven.
Poi

phil
Ancient Muppet

Post by phil » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:53 pm

daniel_cave00 wrote:The Wizard is looking good, though the photo is quite dark so I suspect it will look better in the flesh. That a GW model? It looks far too cool to be GW somehow.

As to the sword guys I have found it easier to deal with large units by breaking them down into more manageable chunks of painting. I have found 5 guys to be an optimum number to paint at one time. Its small enough to not discourage and make you curse the never ending unit and its large enough so you can properly production line.

Yep, it's a GW model. It is a bit dark, but the main attention is on the face and globe... the rest is just robes!

Also, that production line idea is a good one, if I start losing my mind I'll definitely try it out, thanks.

poi wrote:Phil

I'll take that challenge, with my skaven.

Nice one - I'll be there at about 7pm or so, mostly looking around and wondering what to do ;)
-- Dutch --

phil
Ancient Muppet

Post by phil » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:09 pm

Okay, a little bit of fluff to accompany this evening's adventure into 8th edition. Here's part one, with more to follow as I get time - I'm out all day tomorrow, so might not be until Thursday (by which time I'll have forgotten everything, but hey-ho). Enjoy!

Part 1: Beginnings

From the moment Jonas heard the lookout cry and glanced out of the window to see a force of Ratmen approaching, he knew it was going to be a bad day. He'd been told there were some roaming bands nearby, and that support was close by - but that he and his unit of gunners needed to defend the watchtower they were in at all costs.

But as the dirty, furry mass shambled onwards and he ordered his men to set up for a defensive barrage of shot, the lookout cried again - "On the right! ON THE LEFT!" - and the worry gnawing at the pit of his stomach turned to dread. A glance to the right revealed two hulking forms of what he guessed must be Rat Ogres, a Packmaster driving them on with alarming speed.

It was the sight on the left that caused the true horror, however, as what seemed like an endless sea of brown fur, grubby cloaks and glinting metal seethed past the treeline and into view. A horde of the beasts - more in one unit than his band had shots, he was willing to bet.

Snapping out of a momentary daze, knowing he'd need to psych up his men, he started bellowing orders. Of the enemies at hand, he knew there was only one unit that they'd realistically be able to stop, and one by one rifles were brought to bear on the group now nearest - front, and centre.

As the day wore on Captain Elias Pinkerton was struggling to keep his frustration in check. He'd been ordered to join up with the Hochland Gunners, 17th Regiment, the previous day - a small group holding a strategically important watchtower, he'd been told. Nothing much strategic about it, apart from that it was a landmark in a troubled part of the world - a symbol at best. But orders were orders, so his relief force had marched through the night to get there.

Unfortunately his decision to bring along Geraldine had proven troublesome. While Great Cannons were the pride of the Imperial artillery, they were cumbersome at best, and he was more than a little annoyed at himself for caving to the influence of his father - formerly one of Nuln's finest engineers. With roads that did little to justify their name - and with Knights Panther that simply refused to hitch up their horses to help out - progress had been slower than was necessary.

Finally Methusala, a weird old Bright Wizard sent down from Altdorf, called across, pointing a fiery finger towards a break in the forest ahead. Light beyond told him they were heading for a clearing - and the sooner they were out of these unsettling trees, the better.

But no sooner had he started to cheer up, than the thunder of hooves brought tidings to curse his delay once again. The watchtower was up ahead, reported the horsemen, but a Skaven army already drew near - at least three units, one of them huge, plus Rat Ogres as well. The gunners had opened fire, but didn't stand a chance unless they could make up the ground... and quickly.

With an inhuman rush, the men of the Empire pushed forward - even Geraldine and her entourage eating up the ground. He ordered the Knights to push out wide and prepare for a flank attack, while Methusala indicated his desire to see the Rat Ogres for himself. It was less than ideal - they would have made the perfect target for Geraldine, but there was little he - just a Captain - could say that would have made any difference to the mage, so he decided to keep face in front of his troops, and merely nodded his agreement.

Once out of the trees, with the Knights galloping off to the left and Methusala circling to the right, he formed up his primary unit - all Swordsmen, and ordered his only real flank protection in the shape of Greatswords from Ostermark(or 'The Invincibles' as they referred to themselves) to break off and march straight for the tower.

With the Knights set in classic flanking position, Geraldine in place and fuse being prepared, and his own troops jostling beside and behind him, they were set to go - but then something unexpected happened. The worn down fences they'd taken positions behind suddenly burst into flame, everybody jumping back as one.

Over on the right, Methusala waved a hand, and shouted something that was drowned out by the crackling of the blaze right in front of them. Again, Elias did the only thing he felt he could, and gave the white-haired old man the thumbs up sign. At least anybody charging their position would have something to think about...

-- Dutch --

phil
Ancient Muppet

Post by phil » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:45 pm

Right, a couple more image updates - it's been a busy week, but following the '5-at-a-time' production method I've now completed in base colours the command group from the Talabheim Swords.

Just 15 of these to go... I'm sure there are more little details on Empire troops than I remember really seeing on my old Wood Elves...!

After the Swords are complete, I've still got the Captain, Knights Panther and Geraldine (the Great Cannon) to complete... 17 days and counting!
-- Dutch --

daniel_cave00
The muppet with many names

Post by daniel_cave00 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:06 pm

Looking good Phil, they even look decent without washes and highlights. How are you finding the painting in groups method? I find it really helps me but everyone is different. I think it keeps me going.

Looking forward to seeing these on the board on Tuesday. I hope to get a bit more progress on my forces but like yourself, its been a really busy week (worked from 7am - 10pm yesterday then 8am - 4pm today on my day off!). Still keep up the good work, 17 days eh? I feel I may have to get myself organised!

2011 - Mavis
2010 - Randolph
2009 - Sally
2008 - Ben

Migraines suck!!!

Chilledenuff

Post by Chilledenuff » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:27 am

looking good, is it me or does the one second from the right look like he man (in prince adam guse)with a fake beard?
Smile! It's not that bad!
'05: Pixie Jam Trophy winner
'07: A Small Matter of Honour Runner Up
'11: Bruce McGrath Award
'12: Bruce McGrath Award
'14: Pixie Jam Trophy Winner
'15: Bruce McGrath Award
1974-Present: Awful dice rolls

phil
Ancient Muppet

Post by phil » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:08 am

daniel_cave00 wrote:Looking good Phil, they even look decent without washes and highlights. How are you finding the painting in groups method? I find it really helps me but everyone is different. I think it keeps me going.

Actually, it did make it that little bit easier to do a little bit here, a little there, and feel like I was making progress. That said, because I'd put down a couple of colours across the group of 20, when starting the next group I'm not starting completely from scratch, which is also nice - so from now on I think I'll use a 50-50 method: Stick down a couple of easy main colours on the lot, then split them up for the slower detail work.

Chilledenuff wrote:looking good, is it me or does the one second from the right look like he man (in prince adam guse)with a fake beard?

Haha, I hadn't noticed that... the ironic thing is that he's the musician!
-- Dutch --

phil
Ancient Muppet

Post by phil » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:44 am

No updates from me, I'm afraid - I injured my neck on Sunday, so have been on strong medication since then. Not able to get any painting done, which is a bit of a worry when I consider how much remains to be done before the 10th...
-- Dutch --

daniel_cave00

Post by daniel_cave00 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:59 am

Ah but the medication should be helping with the worry of not getting it finished :)

Does this mean you wont be able to face off against me this Tuesday?

2011 - Mavis
2010 - Randolph
2009 - Sally
2008 - Ben

Migraines suck!!!

phil
Ancient Muppet

Post by phil » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:32 pm

I'll be around next Tuesday (Aug 3) if you wanna play then?
-- Dutch --

Return to “A tale of Muppet gamers 2010”