To war! For Sigmar!

To mark the launch of WFB8, a few of us are starting new armies, starting at 750 points and then growing in 250 point blocks.
Forum rules
Be excellent to each other
phil
Ancient Muppet

Re: To war! For Sigmar!

Post by phil » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:37 pm

I think the interesting thing with Empire, so far as I understand them at this point, is that they're the ultimate all-rounders. They have a bit of everything, so therefore they'll benefit from most of the individual tweaks - however, I don't think they'll benefit from many (or any) of them as much as one of the other armies would.

So they'll benefit from stronger magic, but maybe not as much as Tomb Kings or Vampire Counts perhaps; they'll benefit from the new artillery rules, but maybe no more than High Elves or Dwarfs; they'll benefit from less terrain movement problems, but not as much as Beastmen; they'll benefit from Initiative in combat, but not as much as Skaven; and they'll benefit from the Horde rules, but not as much as Orcs and Gobbos.

I've not played all of those armies, of course, so they're only generalised examples - but I think that's going to be a big part of the fun/challenge - finding out those combinations of Empire armies that maybe just work out a little better on balance. With the new army composition rules there are a helluva lot more possiblities too - I'm a big fan of variety in my armies :-)

Much fun to be had!
-- Dutch --

phil
Ancient Muppet

Post by phil » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:13 pm

Okay, as promised, new pictures. Here is my unit of Handgunners, a proud group from Hochland - well-known for producing some of the finest marksman from all the Empire!

And a focus on the command group - marksman, drummer and standard bearer:

Once again, a reminder - these are only base colours only. There won't be anything more complex (not that I'm capable anyway) until I'm happy I'm going to hit the monthly target!
Last edited by phil on Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-- Dutch --

daniel_cave00
The muppet with many names

Post by daniel_cave00 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:24 pm

Ummm Phil there is something wrong with the images. I cant seem to see them.

2011 - Mavis
2010 - Randolph
2009 - Sally
2008 - Ben

Migraines suck!!!

phil
Ancient Muppet

Post by phil » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:27 pm

Fixed!
-- Dutch --

daniel_cave00

Post by daniel_cave00 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:04 pm

Jebus thats a massive gun!!!

Looking good there Phil, I like the use of green. They look very uniform. Will look brillaint when you get the chance to attack them with some washes (they make a massive difference).

Keep up the good work, hopefully you will meet the deadline as you have quite a few guys to go. You down at the club anytime soon or are you saving yourself for the 10th?

2011 - Mavis
2010 - Randolph
2009 - Sally
2008 - Ben

Migraines suck!!!

phil
Ancient Muppet

Post by phil » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:05 pm

I hope to be down next Tuesday, but not 100% sure yet. I may have to be in London during the day, so then it's anybody's guess. If not, then almost certainly the 3rd and 10th.
-- Dutch --

phil
Ancient Muppet

Post by phil » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:00 pm

Quick update - I've managed to make some decent headway with the painting this weekend. I've nearly finished my Battle Wizard (and, erm, must confess to breaking my own "base colours only" rule here), while I've also broken the back of the 20 Swordsmen... which wasn't much fun, but am pleased with how they're coming along.

My phone is being dodgy to say the least at the moment, but I hope to have a couple of pics up tomorrow.
-- Dutch --

phil
Ancient Muppet

Post by phil » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:08 pm

Okay - here are some more unit pics.

First up the (mostly) finished Battle Wizard, complete with washes and highlights. I know I broke my own rule here, but I had to get away from the repetition of the bigger unit painting...

And speaking of bigger unit painting, here's a work in progress of my Swordsmen - I've always admired the Talabheim colours that GW seem to paint most of their in-house Empire stuff, so I thought I'd paint up some of my own.

It's basically a red and white scheme - fairly straightforward, although all the little bits and pieces that Empire troops seem to love make them also very time-consuming. Not great news if I'm thinking about making this lot a Horde some day...!

PS - I should be around for a game tomorrow night... anybody fancy road-testing their 750pts against mine?
-- Dutch --

Chilledenuff

Post by Chilledenuff » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:42 pm

Wizard looks great. Can't play you tomorrow night unless Dan trounces me very quickly!
Smile! It's not that bad!
'05: Pixie Jam Trophy winner
'07: A Small Matter of Honour Runner Up
'11: Bruce McGrath Award
'12: Bruce McGrath Award
'14: Pixie Jam Trophy Winner
'15: Bruce McGrath Award
1974-Present: Awful dice rolls

daniel_cave00

Post by daniel_cave00 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:43 pm

Phil,

The Wizard is looking good, though the photo is quite dark so I suspect it will look better in the flesh. That a GW model? It looks far too cool to be GW somehow.

As to the sword guys I have found it easier to deal with large units by breaking them down into more manageable chunks of painting. I have found 5 guys to be an optimum number to paint at one time. Its small enough to not discourage and make you curse the never ending unit and its large enough so you can properly production line.

By production line I mean grab a colour and paint all 5 models with that colour. Leave correcting mistakes until you have finished all 5 models. Then progress to the next colour until you have got them to your "finished" stage. Once there grab the next 5 and repeat. It helps that you arent painting the same colour or details for very long and it keeps you moving through the different techniques as you finish 5 before starting the next 5.

Its how I have been painting my guys and so far I am not wanting to kill anyone, which would generally happen by the time I have finished painting 35 models in 2 weeks my usual way. Its a technique which I used to paint all my Ork models.

As to the game offer, you are probably better off putting a challenge on the email trail. I am playing Les this week otherwise I would have accepted, I would expect you would get a better response from people on the email list.

Nice work though keep it up. Looks like we may get a complete set of fully painted armies for the 10th after all.

2011 - Mavis
2010 - Randolph
2009 - Sally
2008 - Ben

Migraines suck!!!

Return to “A tale of Muppet gamers 2010”