To war! For Sigmar!

To mark the launch of WFB8, a few of us are starting new armies, starting at 750 points and then growing in 250 point blocks.
Forum rules
Be excellent to each other
phil
Ancient Muppet

To war! For Sigmar!

Post by phil » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:06 am

After spending the last couple of years cooped up, antisocially, inside Athel Loren and picking off any stragglers that dare come near, I recently decided it was time to turn my attention to an army that was a bit more 'normal' - but with lots of variety. Something that would capture the imagination of my fantasy mind, provide me with a strong heritage, challenge my painting mind and with units that I generally liked the look of.

Unfortunately, that meant Empire. Never mind, next time I'll be more imaginitive, I promise.

Meanwhile, I've started to put together a fledgling force a little in advance of this Tale series (which, by the way, could well be my saviour in terms of painting discipline) - but for the purposes of this blog here's the 750-point initial line-up. It's pending a proper read of the 8th edition rules this weekend (I'm away all next week at a conference), so might change - currently the key choice was between trying the new magic, or trying the new Horde rules. At this point I've opted for the former, so we'll see how that goes.

Hero:
Captain of the Empire: 50
Battle Wizard (lvl 2): 100

Core:
20 Swordsmen (full command): 145
10 Handgunners (inc Marksman): 85
5 Knights Panther (full command): 139

Special:
10 Greatswords (full command): 130
Great Cannon: 100

Total: 749

I'll update with a painting diary in due course, although for the time being I'm going to restrict myself to base colours only until everything is painted up, then work on basing, highlights, washes and the rest.
-- Dutch --

Chilledenuff

Re: To war! For Sigmar!

Post by Chilledenuff » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:09 am

First, Welcome to the forum!

Second, I hate great cannons :D Nice looking list, I'm intrigued as to what the next 250 will be. More greatswords or detachments mayhap?
Smile! It's not that bad!
'05: Pixie Jam Trophy winner
'07: A Small Matter of Honour Runner Up
'11: Bruce McGrath Award
'12: Bruce McGrath Award
'14: Pixie Jam Trophy Winner
'15: Bruce McGrath Award
1974-Present: Awful dice rolls

phil
Ancient Muppet

Post by phil » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:19 am

I think next up I'll need to satisfy my curiosity on the Horde side of things, so maybe another swathe of Swordsmen - and possibly a detachment if there's enough room... on the board...
-- Dutch --

fynn
Ancient Muppet

Post by fynn » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:07 am

Cannons??? does that mean shiny new toys for my leadbelchers to steal.....................lol

phil
Ancient Muppet

Post by phil » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:54 am

Okay - the first unit to be painted was my Greatswords. I'd christened them "The Immortals" and although - much to my horror - in this month's WD the battle report also names a unit of GS's as a similar thing, the name has now stuck.

Obviously it's base colours only, with armour yet to be picked out, but these guys are from Ostermark.

This is the unit (currently 10 strong), with champion, banner and musician.

Here are the standard bearer and musician. Again, just basic colours, so that I'll not get sidetracked into spending too much time on one unit, and leave the others languishing in undercoat only...
-- Dutch --

phil
Ancient Muppet

Post by phil » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:55 am

PS - the Eldar Jetbikes in th background aren't currently planned as part of the Empire force. However, if I get solid whuppings I may smuggle them in under the new Allies rules...!
-- Dutch --

fynn
Ancient Muppet

Post by fynn » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:08 pm

looking good so far phill, thye look nice and squishy for my ogres...........lol

phil
Ancient Muppet

Post by phil » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:17 pm

fynn wrote:looking good so far phill, thye look nice and squishy for my ogres...........lol

Yes - I painted them the same colour as berries, just to make them more appetising!

Oh, wait...
-- Dutch --

phil
Ancient Muppet

Post by phil » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:41 am

Been a bit quiet from me, I know, but I'm away this week at a work-related event - though thankfully the last for some time.

Meanwhile, I did get some more painting done before I left, so I'll post some photos when I'm back home on Friday.
-- Dutch --

daniel_cave00
The muppet with many names

Post by daniel_cave00 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:14 am

Phil,

Dont worry about going quiet, its only noisy at the moment because a few of us have free time and are a little over excited (ok that takes care of me but I am sure that the others have their excuses). I am certainly looking forward to seeing more of your Empire stuff, just as I am at playing against them in the coming months.

Apparently Empire have been given a massive boost by the new rules, I dont know enough about the game as a whole to understand exactly how and why but I am sure that they will be a real interesting army to face off against.
The muppet with many names

2011 - Mavis
2010 - Randolph
2009 - Sally
2008 - Ben

Migraines suck!!!

Return to “A tale of Muppet gamers 2010”