New Blood, Old bones: A tale of muppet gaming

To mark the launch of WFB8, a few of us are starting new armies, starting at 750 points and then growing in 250 point blocks.
Forum rules
Be excellent to each other
daniel_cave00
The muppet with many names

Re: New Blood, Old bones: A tale of muppet gaming

Post by daniel_cave00 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:37 pm

20 Ghouls completed (not based). 21 still to go and I am getting very bored of painting them now!

I have also finished my Necromancer and I believe I have finished my Wight King. Pictures incoming.

So thats 21 Ghouls and 1 Necromancer with about 2 weeks to go. Thats under 2 models a day so I am quite confident, though I cannot speak for my sanity after painting that many models exactly the same method.

2011 - Mavis
2010 - Randolph
2009 - Sally
2008 - Ben

Migraines suck!!!

daniel_cave00

Post by daniel_cave00 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:15 pm

Pictures as promised

Necromancer based and finished (proud of her)

Not really sure on the shield face, looks a bit too much like mint on chocolate with the brown. I was tempted to use the yellow but then I might just over paint if Red as it would probably go better. He is meant to be in keeping with my Grave Guard unit.

I may paint some sparkly bits on him over time.

2011 - Mavis
2010 - Randolph
2009 - Sally
2008 - Ben

Migraines suck!!!

Chilledenuff

Post by Chilledenuff » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:53 am

Looks nice, See what you mean about the shield... I'd suggest painting it in a dead flesh colour
Smile! It's not that bad!
'05: Pixie Jam Trophy winner
'07: A Small Matter of Honour Runner Up
'11: Bruce McGrath Award
'12: Bruce McGrath Award
'14: Pixie Jam Trophy Winner
'15: Bruce McGrath Award
1974-Present: Awful dice rolls

daniel_cave00

Post by daniel_cave00 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:47 am

Will have to see what it looks like in the flesh, you are right though it should really be flesh.

You still on tonight? Give you gobbos a run for their fungus (or whatever currency a gobbo needs).

2011 - Mavis
2010 - Randolph
2009 - Sally
2008 - Ben

Migraines suck!!!

Chilledenuff

Post by Chilledenuff » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:16 pm

so long as Ryley is perkier I shall be down
Smile! It's not that bad!
'05: Pixie Jam Trophy winner
'07: A Small Matter of Honour Runner Up
'11: Bruce McGrath Award
'12: Bruce McGrath Award
'14: Pixie Jam Trophy Winner
'15: Bruce McGrath Award
1974-Present: Awful dice rolls

daniel_cave00

Post by daniel_cave00 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:18 pm

Well that didnt go so well.

My first foray against the High Elf ones was pretty much a wash out, it would have seen me tabled on turn 6 but I bowed out before that happened. They are very nasty to go up against with no shooting attacks of my own, something I have found to be the biggest flaw with the current Vampire Counts army book.

The only thing which kept me even close to competing was my luck with the magic rolls. I seemed to be able to pull off more channels that game than I have done in pretty much all of my others combined. I was also able to just keep spamming my magic to raise up my dead at just below the rate Martin was shooting them down.

Biggest thing against me last night was the damn boiling river that I was pretty much forced to cross with all my units (and foolish enough to deploy one of my units in as well). Damn S4 wounds for each guy standing in there at the end of each turn!

Still it was a well deserved win for Martin, even though his pointy eared Mage did get run off the table (after a bit of a uber winge about the rally rules by urs truly) after losing two rounds of combat.

I have to remember that units can flee when I charge them, because my guys never get the option I keep forgetting that others have it. It certainly surprised me when Martins Great (Lion) Eagle ran away from my 3 or 4 Ghouls. Very Elfish apparently.

Still its probably the best army I can make at 1K points so its here to stay. With no ranged attacks to speak of and the fact that adding some would probably diminish my armies performance as a whole, given that it would be magic missiles and therefore less magic to fix my undead dead stuff, I cant really amend my tactics either.

Good news is that my Varghulf model is in the country, however somehow they have lost my payment details so I have to give them a call and rearrage delivery. Still this should mean that I get my next months painting done fairly quickly in the month. Leaving me more time to do other things (like painting club terrain etc).

2011 - Mavis
2010 - Randolph
2009 - Sally
2008 - Ben

Migraines suck!!!

daniel_cave00

Post by daniel_cave00 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:29 am

Ok I am slightly concerned that I wont meet this painting deadline I have made no progress since last week and I now have to paint 22 models in 8 days.

I may have to pull some rather late nights and avoid procrastonating a bit. 3 batches of 7 Ghouls and 1 Necromancer to go.

Been thinking too much about painting my Varghulf, going to bring it tomorrow night to gage opinion on the colour scheme. I have a test pallet model with suggested colours.

Might bring some paints tomorrow evening to try and get a head start on things.

2011 - Mavis
2010 - Randolph
2009 - Sally
2008 - Ben

Migraines suck!!!

poi
Chief Muppet

Post by poi » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:06 pm

22 in 8 days? Try 44 rank and file, plus characters. I'm still working on them though, and for me at least the real deadline is RR on 6th November. I wonder if I can wangle the week before off to get finished?
Poi

phil
Ancient Muppet

Post by phil » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:09 am

As far as actual painting goes (spary undercoat doesn't count...) I've been very slack... but then I have the luxury of not having to paint much.

But - what I have been busy doing is buying up assembling enough stuff to take me to 3000 points if necessary :-)
-- Dutch --

daniel_cave00

Post by daniel_cave00 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:01 am

Well thats 7 base coated from last night. Leaving 14 to get base coated then 21 to get inked. The base coating process only took about an hour though, its the bloody inking that takes the time as it takes ages to properly dry.

Then I have a necromancer to paint. Hmmm I might have to pull off something very special this weekend.

Brought the Varghulf tonight, might chop and change my list to include it. Who knows. Though I wont be able to properly swap it into this months escalation as I dont have a monster base for it and no time to go shopping for one.

2011 - Mavis
2010 - Randolph
2009 - Sally
2008 - Ben

Migraines suck!!!

Return to “A tale of Muppet gamers 2010”