Dungeon Saga (Picture Heavy)

Let's talk about toy soldiers
Forum rules
Be excellent to each other.
Chilledenuff

Dungeon Saga (Picture Heavy)

Post by Chilledenuff » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:19 pm

I know that amongst the Muppets there is a lot of vitriol and dislike for Mantic games. I guess its's because some of their minis a re downright ugly (especially the dwarves and early elves). However, games rules wise they are pretty good. Dreadball and Mars Attacks I already own, as well as the original Dwarf Kings Hold so when they launched their dungeon crawler 'Dungeon Saga' I backed it. This arrived this week and there is masses and masses of stuff!....

If I start with the actual boxed game....

The box

and it's contents...

Lots of doors and furniture:

Evil minions, as with all of the miniatures they are soft plastic but not that bendy. Mantic have changed manufacturer. The sculpts are pretty sharp and with a little hot water/cold water dipping they will all be upright. I may pose some arms differently to add variety

Evil Bosses. these guys are grey to differentiate them from the minions out of the box, I especially like the zombie troll shaman..

Heroes. 4 in the main box, again they are Blue to aid recognition at a glance

I haven't unwrapped the cards, tokens and tiles yet but the quality seems okay, it's got reinforced weaving (you may be able to see this in some of the later pictures.
I am looking forward to playing this; I've watched a number of how to and unboxing videos and the mechanics seem sound.. and easy!

Beyond the main game I received the first four expansions, the kickstarter exclusives and I also ordered the resin dungeon traps and extra furniture. Let's have a looksie at what I got..

Miniatures:

which breaks down as follows:

orcs and goblins (from the Warlord of Galahir expansion)

although one poor goblin archer hasn't got a head!

Deamonic types (Infernal Crypts expansion)

More Undead (Return of Valandor expansion)

might need the hot water treatment!

Dragon! (The Tyrant of Halpi expansion)

Heroes from across the supplements, we have a Human Cleric, human paladin, halfling thief, gladewalker druid (dryad type thing), Salamander Fighter (lizardman) and a Naiad demon hunter

There's also some kickstarter exclusive miniatures:Blaine, Hordin&Gnasher, Logan and the multipart resin Keldan

Also the boss villains from the expansions:

More dungeon furniture and doors!

and then there are the cards, tokens, floortiles, quest books, hero cards and overlord panels for the additional quests and the adventurer's companion...

this thick wedge is all the expansion tile sets etc...

Nearly there! Exclusive book with all the original Dwarf King's quest missions and blank character sheet pad:

Resin trap tiles (probably the biggest let down of the whole thing (more on that in a moment)

Bizarrely I haven't photographed the Adventurer's Companion. An a4 sized hardback book with rules for making your own quests and adventurers. To put it into GW type terms, it changes the game from Heroquest into Warhammer quest.

All in all it's a fantastic haul for (after pledge manager shenanigans) us$200 Plenty of gaming material to cover me for a couple of years should I only play this. There are a couple of issues as I touched upon earlier. The resin traps are very poor castings, they'll need a lot cleaning up. I'd ask Mantic for new ones but they aren't producing any more, they actually put a statement out on Kickstarter saying they could be sent back for a refund. However, I want them so I'll just have to file and sand.
The other niggles are 2 halfling thief character cards and no Paladin Hero and the poor headless goblin. I shall be emailing Mantic directly. Considering the volume of bits, that's not too bad.

Now... who'd like to play it with me :D
Smile! It's not that bad!
'05: Pixie Jam Trophy winner
'07: A Small Matter of Honour Runner Up
'11: Bruce McGrath Award
'12: Bruce McGrath Award
'14: Pixie Jam Trophy Winner
'15: Bruce McGrath Award
1974-Present: Awful dice rolls

Return to “The games people play”