7tv2 Playtest game

Let's talk about toy soldiers
Forum rules
Be excellent to each other.
Chilledenuff

7tv2 Playtest game

Post by Chilledenuff » Fri May 01, 2015 4:04 pm

The Battle of Glebe Gardens
See page 33 of the rulebook for scenario conditions. Both casts should be 25 ratings each.
Casts:
Heroes:
David Somerset
Flamboyant agent 8 ratings
Ava Goodnight
Angel of Justice 6 Ratings
D.I.G.I.T. Troopers*
Army section: Army Corporal 3 ratings
4 x Army Privates @ 2 ratings 8 ratings
Total: 25 ratings
Villians:
Ernest Stavros Bloffelt
Insidious Industrialist 8 ratings
Miles Large
Faithful Lackey 6 Ratings
S.H.A.D.E troopers*
Minion Squad: minion commander 3 ratings
3 Minions @ 2 ratings or 3 for 5 ratings.. 5 ratings
Minion Flamethrower 3 Ratings
Total 25 ratings
Synopsis:
After many months of chasing double agents and snooping through offices and hidden bases, David Somerset, the noted British Agent from MI9 has finally tracked down the head of S.H.A.D.E and is ready to stop him from his evil plan of blowing up Basingstoke Town Centre with a Neutron Bomb. Somerset is ably assisted by the girl he rescued from S.H.A.D.E’s secret base in Andover, the delectable Ava goodnight, as well as a handful of D.I.G.I.T troopers.
Cornered in the park, Ernest Stavros Bloffelt knows the only way he can make his plans come to fruition is to dispose of the thrice cursed Somerset and his allies.
The stage is set. Can the greatest British Agent of the 1970s avert disaster? Find out on the 5th of May

*D.I.G.I.T: Department Investigating Genuinely Important Things
*S.H.A.D.E: Syndicate Hellbent (on) Arranging (the) Destruction (of) Earth
Smile! It's not that bad!
'05: Pixie Jam Trophy winner
'07: A Small Matter of Honour Runner Up
'11: Bruce McGrath Award
'12: Bruce McGrath Award
'14: Pixie Jam Trophy Winner
'15: Bruce McGrath Award
1974-Present: Awful dice rolls

Chilledenuff

Re: 7tv2 Playtest game

Post by Chilledenuff » Tue May 12, 2015 7:17 am

Last Tuesday we ran through the 7tv2 rules for the first time at the Sad Muppets. My opponent was Aaron who had only ever played one game of 7ombie TV, so his experience with 7tv was very limited. I think this actually helped when running through the game.

As you will have seen in the first post I put together two very basic casts:
Heroes:

David Somerset
Flamboyant agent 8 ratings

Ava Goodnight
Angel of Justice 6 Ratings

D.I.G.I.T. Troopers*
Army section: Army Corporal 3 ratings
4 x Army Privates @ 2 ratings 8 ratings

Total: 25 ratings

And Villains:
Ernest Stavros Bloffelt
Insidious Industrialist 8 ratings

Miles Large
Faithful Lackey 6 Ratings

S.H.A.D.E troopers*
Minion Squad: minion commander 3 ratings
3 Minions @ 2 ratings or 3 for 5 ratings.. 5 ratings
Minion Flamethrower 3 Ratings

Total 25 ratings

The plot was simple:

We played a straight battle (as it would be easier for the first time, however we did roll for deployment zones. Rolling a 3 we got..

I was the defender, using the villains of SHADE and I deployed in the centre of the board ready to grab all the nearby objectives (1st edition Audience Appreciation tokens are perfect for this!)
Aaron deployed the DIGIT forces to my left flank and then using the Spy ability deployed Somerset and Goodnight in more advanced positions, trusting them to survive until the troops could catch up

After sorting gadgets and the countdown deck we rolled for initiative; Aaron won, meaning he went first with a total of 12 ✪! My two for not gaining initiative looked a touch paltry. He proceeded to activate everything (Unit leader is a great mechanic, kudos) Somerset claimed the objective token he was on (6 rolled, another 6✪!) and leapt out of the ruins. Goodnight followed suit, leaping through a window onto the second objective. Another 5 ✪! The DIGIT troopers moved up and using a combination of withering SLR fire and judicious use of ✪ killed the minion with the flame thrower and wounded my minion leader. Not the greatest start for SHADE!

It was time for the evil forces to respond to this, and so I tried. Getting 6 ✪ I was just able to activate everyone and keep a couple of ✪ aside. Bloffelt activated and made a dash towards the other ruined house to collect the objective there, Miles Large dashed up the stairs and collected that objective, cue dice roll and the inevitable 1, one extra ✪ for me, woot! Then the minions moved up to return fore on the DIGIT troops…. The SMG armed goon felled one trooper, beyond that.. nothing. I wasn’t looking forward to Aarons turn, he still had 8 ✪ before getting the 5 ✪ for his turn and a further 2 ✪ for turning two cards
Again, Aaron activated everything. Starting with the DIGIT troops (although one was out of Unit Leader range) a hail of pistol and SLR fire wiped out the last of the SHADE troopers before Ava Goodnight could charge in and before the one DIGIT troop got to activate.
My dead pile half way turn 2 for Aaron!
Ava decided to run to beyond the house in front of her, aiming to get the objective there before Bloffelt did. Somerset advanced on the ruined house with Miles Large inside.
All great and hunky dory, expecting to be able to go again I was ready until Aaron used the seize initiative mechanism. Cursing him I watched as he won the roll getting another turn.
Once more he flipped 2 cards, 2✪, five more✪ for his cast. I had 1 at this point; it seemed like all game I was scraping the barrel for them!
The DIGIT troops opened fire on on Miles Large in cover, but with no effect. The difference between Star/Costar defence values and extras doesn’t look like much but it is huge in game (getting hard cover helped, especially as Miles was looking in the wrong direction!) Somerset then ran into the building Miles was in and Goodnight ran around the corner of the building, poised to pick up the last objective counter)
Still, night is always blackest just before the dawn, or so I’m told.. Bloffelt donned his disquise kit, picked up the objective he was on, 3✪ and sauntered across the street dressed as a tramp Image
Meanwhile Large charged down the stairs into Somerset, a well timed use of a boot knife weakened the hero. Passing my wiped out check I then decided to wrest the initiave… nope, cue 2✪ for Aaron.
Not bothering to waste ✪ on the DIGIT troops (they’d done there bit) everything went on Somerset and goodnight. Somerset used his nerve gas canister to weaken Miles but couldn’t capitalise and wound him.
Goodnight rounded the corner and sat on the last objective. Only a 2 rolled so only two extra ✪
We were closing on the end of the game. It did look bleak for the forces of shade, but then I pulled out the Fan Favourite finale card….
Everyone loves a flame thrower! I activated everyone. The weakened Miles could do nothing to Somerset, the flamethrower set fire to Ava Goodnight (one wound and on fire? I may have cackled with glee) before diving over the fence. Bloffelt tried shooting the heroine with her pistol, but managed to miss. On to the wiped out roll, just needed a two or more… I think we all know what I rolled…. $%~@ing dice! I then followed this with a six, so with only 3 models on the board I had to remove 6. Aaron sportingly offered me to remove some DIGIT troops after I’d taken mine off of the board but that was it, game over.
Somehow Ernest Stavros Bloffelt and Miles Large escaped to come back another day, but all in all a good day for the forces of MI9 and DIGIT.
We calculated the VPs, I got 1 for rolling a 4+ on one objective. Aaron got 6 (no enemy models in play, star and costar removed from play and two 4+ rolled for objectives)

Lots and lots of fun. Looking forward to our rematch tonight
Smile! It's not that bad!
'05: Pixie Jam Trophy winner
'07: A Small Matter of Honour Runner Up
'11: Bruce McGrath Award
'12: Bruce McGrath Award
'14: Pixie Jam Trophy Winner
'15: Bruce McGrath Award
1974-Present: Awful dice rolls

halosghost
Baby Muppet

Re: 7tv2 Playtest game

Post by halosghost » Tue May 12, 2015 10:08 am

Awesome write-up

I definitely had all of the advantages in that game. Taking the 12 tokens to start, stealing the initiative and taking out your goons in the second turn won me the game for sure.

What I liked about 7tv2:

Super simple mechanics,
Unit reference cards,
Low model count,
The fact that my extras did next to nothing against a star.

Things I think could change:

Whatever rule that allowed me to get 12 activation tokens before the game even started...much OP.

Other than that it seemed like a well balanced game, super easy to pick up and learn and cheap and easy to throw a couple of casts together.

10 out 10, will play again.

Return to “The games people play”