Let's talk about toy soldiers
Forum rules
Be excellent to each other.
Dibbler
Baby Muppet

The future of WFB

Post by Dibbler » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:59 pm

Hi

This is a sort of introduction and a question...

I recently rediscovered my old 6th Edition rulebook and some army books during a clearout... the bug has rebitten me and I have dug out my old painting set (all dried up and wrinkly like me now though) and a few models and started to surf the web looking to see whats up. Unfortunately there are a ton of rumours about 9th Ed and that few of the armies are to disappear or be relegated to the backshelves. Lizardmen and Dwarfs particularly :cry:

Before I jump in to restarting the hobby I wondered if the Sad Muppets will be still playing 8th Ed for the foreseeable future or dropping it in the summer (?) when 9th comes out. I have never really played that much to be honest as it was my kids hobby, but I just went along with the modelling and painting... it would be good to play a game or two, but now I'm not sure if anything I have will be viable.

Apologies if I have got all the rumours wrong... I guess that is always a problem with the internet in that stories can spread before the truth catches up.

Can I also ask if it possible for me to pop my head around the door one Tuesday evening to have a nose and say "Hi"? I will be some time off having a game as I still have to find all the models and I don't have any up to date rules/army books, although I am lurking on ebay at present.

poi
Chief Muppet

Re: The future of WFB

Post by poi » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:50 pm

Pop in and say hi.

As to what will happen with 9th edition, until the rumours start turning into facts, it's just too early to say. My gut says GW won't make any armies unusable, they'll merge them instead, but they do have form for this (squats).
Poi

Dibbler
Baby Muppet

Post by Dibbler » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:09 am

Thanks for the advice... hopefully you are right. I will probably just paint up what I have and see what comes around. I might still buy 8th ed rulebook and possibly an army book or two if they come up, but hold off spending on any minis until the situation becomes clearer.

I have a meeting I have to attend this coming Tuesday, so I'll try to pop down the following week.

Thanks

pgarfunkle
Grownup Muppet

Post by pgarfunkle » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:09 pm

I've been watching the rumours with a nervous eye as a Lizardmen player, I have my fingers crossed that this late into WHFBs lifespan GW will not squat any of the existing races.

I keep hearing rumours about the number of races being reduced to 6 and I'm hoping that if true that this is races available at launch i.e. the races in the back of the book. Then later the remainder of the races will be reintroduced via army books or expansions.

I will be down in a couple of weeks playing Fantasy so if you can make it in pop over and say hi.
I've got a bad feeling about this...

Rab
Ancient Muppet

Post by Rab » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:50 am

I think the game will still exist in some shape or form, and if 9th edition is a massive departure then I think a few of us at least will still play 8th for a while due to simply having a massive money and time investment in the armies if nothing else!

The rumours are all over the place regarding rules changes ( base shape, skirmish based formations, multi would cavalry etc ), but I think for sure there will be a setting change due to the massive back story changes in the End Times books.

We do see the 'sky is falling in' rumours every edition though, I wouldn't be too worried.

On the gaming front, if you want to play a game to get to know the system then I am happy to bring two armies along and take you through it.

Rab.

Latedave
Ancient Muppet

Post by Latedave » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:08 am

There was some interesting stuff I saw this morning saying that essentially joint formations would become a lot more usable in 9th and that GW would enable the older armies to be kept on this way but wouldn't have to produce any more models. Not sure how true it is but I guess costs wise would make sense for them, also means that it would align more to 40k.

Dave

poi
Chief Muppet

Post by poi » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:58 am

Some rumours that this is all about aligning 40k and WFB, which would be an interesting throwback, as back in the day, the WFB world was one cut off by a warp storm. With the planet being divided, maybe it will all become one game. Tyranids vs High Elves anyone?
Poi

Dibbler
Baby Muppet

Post by Dibbler » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:14 am

Thanks for the offer Rab, but I'm not too sure how much time I'll have on Tuesday. I am aiming to pop in to say hi though. After March I will have a bit more time on my hands in the evenings so might take up your offer then if its still available. I haven't played since the end of 6th/start of 7th so most of the rules I have long since forgotten, but should have a basic idea if the phases haven't changed too much.

Hope to catch you all on Tuesday :)

Return to “The games people play”