7tv scifi campaign

Let's talk about toy soldiers
Forum rules
Be excellent to each other.
Rab
Ancient Muppet

Re: 7tv scifi campaign

Post by Rab » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:42 pm

I'm tempted to do a Wolfenstein inspired Nazi/mech/monster/zombie themed cast, just for the modelling opportunities really!

Chilledenuff

Post by Chilledenuff » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:55 am

sounds cool Rab, I expect the minis to be really pixelated for that original Wolfenstien 3d look ;P

Further musing on this in the wee small hours last night and I think a couple of upgrades to some of the extras may be required. Soldiers can be given the body armour special effect for 2 extra ratings (good for stormtroopers I reckon)
Smile! It's not that bad!
'05: Pixie Jam Trophy winner
'07: A Small Matter of Honour Runner Up
'11: Bruce McGrath Award
'12: Bruce McGrath Award
'14: Pixie Jam Trophy Winner
'15: Bruce McGrath Award
1974-Present: Awful dice rolls

poi
Chief Muppet

Post by poi » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:05 am

Not sure when this went up, but revised Future Freedom Fighter stats http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/dl/starter-fff.pdf
And Federated Security http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/dl/starter-fedsec.pdf
Poi

Chilledenuff

Post by Chilledenuff » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:05 am

They went up with the starter sets, I forgot about them :(

Chilledenuff

Post by Chilledenuff » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:39 am

Revisiting this today so expect some more details and questions. Poi, you can use the pdf rules from the starter set so Destiny is in as it stands. a very powerful effect though... like luck but better.

The campaign will start in October, i was thinking the 7th. this gives me a couple of months to thrash out a rules/campaign pack based on what people would like to see, it also gives people time to build/paint a cast and if needed get some practice/demo games in. i'll happily run games/play against anyone, I need to test some of my rules out. I'm still musing on character creation costing so watch this space for more details on that.

Fire away with comments :)
... also it would be nice if people signed up too :)

poi
Chief Muppet

Post by poi » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:33 pm

Lots more detail on how this will run please.
Poi

Chilledenuff

Post by Chilledenuff » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:04 pm

Detail will be forthcoming. I'm currently thinking the cast with the highest value in PP will be the winner at the end, unless of course participants want it to be a goal driven campaign, in which case I will need more feedback on casts as it will effect what goals i need to provide

Chilledenuff

Post by Chilledenuff » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:23 am

poi wrote:Lots more detail on how this will run please.
What more would you like to know?

poi
Chief Muppet

Post by poi » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:33 am

Cast sizes, Will we use whole cast for every game, or points match to our opponent or scenario. How will games be organised. All the stuff we need to be in the right place at the right time with the right toys.
Poi

Chilledenuff

Post by Chilledenuff » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:56 am

Format
Each turn will have a set episode. I'll write some up when I know whether people want narrative or linear campaign rather than be reliant on those in the rulebooks/supplements. Related to this when I know what sorts of casts we will have I'll try and tailor the games to the casts. Tricky but possible if people arrange games in advance and let me know. The drawback of this is that it will mean more prep time between campaign episodes as I'll have to draught them, knock on is that it will be longer between turns. Worst case scenario would be that we have to play one game per month (upside of this is that people will have 4 weeks in which to organise the game with their opponent. Drawback is there is a danger that people drop out of the campaign as it isn't fresh in their minds)

Games in a month
I want to try and keep it fresh, Paul's bolt action of 2 a month seems to work well (kudos to Mr Jenkins!) so I would like to do that but I'm aware some people do struggle to that heavy a game per month commitment, also see above for other issues

Special Campaign Rules
I'll be using the summer supplement rules but with some edits (ie def being capped). We won't be using the Realistic Recovery table as that proved to be a touch brutal, instead it will be the cinematic recovery table which is far less harsh.

Starting Rating

The starting cast rating will be 250 but expect some scenarios to be capped on points dependant on attacker defender. This means that you probably won't be using your full cast in some games. As the campaign progresses casts will obviously get bigger. This won't affect the game sizes but will give you extra choice (should you be doing very well!) to choose from. Be aware that as characters gain experience they become more expensive as well. It may well be that the first game we have in the campaign will be only 150 ratings or the like (pilot shows never have the budget they require!)

Musings

It would be really great if we can get an equal number of villainous casts and heroic casts but I can work round this, plenty of examples of heroes vs heroes and villains vs villains in the scifi trope.
I might try and get some multi-player scenarios in there too (dependant on numbers) as factions team up to get particularly tricky scenarios achieved

Starting Date

7th October, this gives us plenty of time to get casts together, paint toys (there might be a pp bonus for painted toys in each game if people would like that, nice incentive to get them done but equally not too much of a disadvantage if something isn't painted) write scenarios and the like

I'm happy for anyone else to provide input/have an opinion. The more people tell me/ask, the more I can tailor the campaign to what the muppets want and the less likely people will drop out as it isn't what they expect. I'm giving myself until 22nd August to finalise details and hopefully have a campaign pack ready so if people want to give me input, the sooner the better.

Input required

How often would you like to play?
What sort of campaign would you like?
Would anyone like to play an intro/demo/refresher before hand?
Would you like there to be prizes for best cast/winner/wooden spoon?
Can you sign up below with what brief details on your cast
examples:
Les; Moonbase Alpha crew, heroic cast from the classic TV show Space 199
Les; (alternate) Galactic Alliance, villainous cast. AAn invading force from beyond the galactic fringe, using brute force and cunning they are taking over huge swathes of the galaxy

Thanks all :) I would appreciate any and all feedback

Return to “The games people play”