7tv scifi campaign

Let's talk about toy soldiers
Forum rules
Be excellent to each other.
Chilledenuff

7tv scifi campaign

Post by Chilledenuff » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:54 am

Hi everyone. I'm planning a 7tv scifi campaign at the Sad Muppets (huzzah!)starting soon after the Bolt Action campaign ends. Expect this particular thread to be full of ramblings, questions and crazy ideas from me. also feel free to chip in with suggestions, questions or opinions of your own.

Firstly the big changes are to weapons...being scifi I need to tweak the weapons table accordingly. My thinking at the moment is to:

move Alien Rifle and Alien Pistol to the Military Weapons table, losing high-tech but also gaining stun* (*denotes special action to set weapon to stun)
Giving matchlock pistol, musket, pistol, rifle, shotgun, smg, high calibre pistol & high calibre rifle the primitive trait (reducing the ratings cost of each by 1)
Adding a laser pistol at 2 ratings (as pistol but laser)
Adding a laser rifle at 4 ratings (as rifle but laser)
Add laser sword (s4, melee, high tech, high calibre 10 ratings) to advanced weapons

The above makes sense to me for a futuristic environment following all the scifi tropes we all know and love. As we have star wars, Blakes seven, space 1999 and star trek casts already involved they cover them nicely.

The issue at the moment is that Stu is using the Avengers (iffy American comic, not the classic high kicking British ones). Hawkeye has spangly arrows (explosive, freeze and whatnot.. I thought if he aimed he could choose what to use but not sure what ratings cost he could have. Options for arrows to make it easy would be s3 blast/s3 armour piercing( high calibre)/s3 stun/s3 flash (gives confused status). Very powerful options, i thought 20 ratings?
Stu has already kindly forwarded me a cast to look at which all makes some kind of sense, I need to discuss a couple of bits with him but it doesn't look too bad

Beyond the weapons table change I think we will see some caps on stats/abilities. We all know how broken Def6 is so I think the highest Def value for a starting cast will be 5 (excluding vehicles which are another potential headache) with a maximum defence obtainable through the campaign being 7. Invisible status is lost should a model attack another model in melee or fire a ranged weapon.

I might have to add some skill sets to/items to fit the campaign too. Iain has asked about transporter beams for example (although I can probably just port the b7game rules on teleport bracelets in quite nicely)

Any advice/thoughts/questions/people wanting to sign up would be gratefully accepted :)
Last edited by Chilledenuff on Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smile! It's not that bad!
'05: Pixie Jam Trophy winner
'07: A Small Matter of Honour Runner Up
'11: Bruce McGrath Award
'12: Bruce McGrath Award
'14: Pixie Jam Trophy Winner
'15: Bruce McGrath Award
1974-Present: Awful dice rolls

poi
Chief Muppet

Re: 7tv scifi campaign

Post by poi » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:26 am

I'll hold off doing my B7 cast until you let me know whether it's okay to use their rules as written, or if I need to build them with the standard rules.
Poi

Chilledenuff

Post by Chilledenuff » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:37 am

I'll know by the end of tomorrow. Just comparing rules.. who were you planning to use?

stu
Ancient Muppet

Post by stu » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:41 am

Cheers for looking at my pain cast! me and my silly ideas. Hawkeye and black widow will be co-stars and i may have to demote poor Iron man down to a co-star as good old Cpt america and Thor are a bit expensive points wise.

Shall have a chin wag tomorrow so i have a mild clue whats going on :lol:

Just ordered the rules so that might help a bit

poi
Chief Muppet

Post by poi » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:09 am

Chilledenuff wrote:I'll know by the end of tomorrow. Just comparing rules.. who were you planning to use?
Depends on the answer. Haven't decided whether I'm going Blake, Tarrant or Servalan yet as Star yet.
Poi

Chilledenuff

Post by Chilledenuff » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:09 pm

Fair enough, I'll check all of the characters then :D

Chilledenuff

Post by Chilledenuff » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:40 pm

Roger... use the blakes 7 rules but replace destiny with luck. Destiny is too powerful as other casts won't be able to use it, your luck pool will undoubtedly still be huge so it shouldn't be a big trade off Also for Nemesis, choose a model from your opponents cast at the start of each game (if that makes sense.

for the benefit of others please note the following added special effects:

Nemesis (model) (Traits)
This cast member has a long standing hatred of the listed person. All failed rolls to hit and damage against this model can
be rerolled. Choose the model to be the nemesis at the start of the game. Should you face the same opponent later in the campaign, your nemesis has to be the same model

Open Lock (Knowledge)
By using a special action adjacent to a locked door, control panel etc., the cast member with this special effect can gain
access by making an Int test. There is a +1 modifier to the die roll if a Toolkit is used.

Psychic (Unexplained)
Shamanism and unguessable alien powers are still part of life in the remoter parts of the Federation. There are also entire
races, such as the Auronar, who are Telepathic. In addition to the standard free reroll once per turn, only Psychic cast
members may choose the following special effects:

Mental Barrier • Mind Blast • Telekenesis • Telepathy

Psychic cast members can only use one of the above effects each turn.

Mental Barrier (Unexplained)
The psychic can project a short range barrier of mental energy by using a special action. The psychic and up to 3 models
in base contact gain the Force Field (4+) special effect for the remainder of the turn. Models can gain the benefit of only
one Mental Barrier at any one time. Multiple Force Fields do not stack – use the best one. Any Force Field rolls gained by
this special effect which roll a 1 have exhausted the psychic – they cannot use this special effect again for the remainder of
the episode.

I'll put the teleport/transporter rules up a bit later, also the b7 weapons will be added to the weapons locker as will some of the equipment options. Equipment differs from gadgets in that you buy them in the same way as weapons (page 6 of On Location)

Chilledenuff

Post by Chilledenuff » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:11 pm

stu wrote:Cheers for looking at my pain cast! me and my silly ideas. Hawkeye and black widow will be co-stars and i may have to demote poor Iron man down to a co-star as good old Cpt america and Thor are a bit expensive points wise.

Shall have a chin wag tomorrow so i have a mild clue whats going on :lol:

Just ordered the rules so that might help a bit
not an issue to look at them, I thought well balanced, having read the rules for the b7 liberator hand gun Hawkeye's arrows may very well reduce in costs.

Rab
Ancient Muppet

Post by Rab » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:10 pm

Random questions....

What is the format going to be?
When will it start?
How many games will we need to get in a month for it to work?
Will you be using the summer supplmenent rules? or something of your own?
Starting Ratings?

Chilledenuff

Post by Chilledenuff » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:22 pm

Rab wrote:Random questions....

What is the format going to be?
When will it start?
How many games will we need to get in a month for it to work?
Will you be using the summer supplmenent rules? or something of your own?
Starting Ratings?
Format? Each turn will have a set episode. I'll try and write some funky ones up rather than be reliant on those in the rulebooks/supplements

Games in a month? i want to try and keep it fresh, Paul's bolt action of 2 a month seems to work well (kudos to Mr Jenkins!) so I might do that but I'm aware some people do struggle to that heavy a game per month commitment

I'll be using the summer supplement rules but with some edits (ie def being capped) although I'm going to have a reread of the 7th voyage campaign rules later just in case there's anything I can nick. We won't be using the Realistic Revovery table as that proved to be a touch brutal (I think Carl is still weeping about last time!) and was probably partly responsible for the campaign failing last time (that and not enough prep work by me :( ), instead it will be the cinematic recovery table which is far less harsh

Starting Ratings? Still umming and aahing about it. I'll probably go with 250 or 300 rating casts but with only some in play each game. I.e. if its a 300 point cast then games will be limited to 250 ratings. This will give everyone a small reserve pool but equally as casts get bigger with experience people who aren't doing well still have a chance as they'll be the same rating in the game. They just have a smaller reserve to choose from.

I'm happy for anyone else to provide input/have an opinion. The more people tell me/ask, the more I can tailor the campaign to what the muppets want :)

Return to “The games people play”