Let's talk about toy soldiers
Forum rules
Be excellent to each other.
FistOfDorn
Grownup Muppet

List advice for skaven

Post by FistOfDorn » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:33 am

Hello

After being peer pressured into starting a Warhammer Fantasy army I decided to go with skaven.

Many a forey onto ebay has allowed me to put together the following list. Could I please have some advice on whether or not I am going to get mutilated at my friends mini tournament (which will probably be my first game!)

1600 points

Lords and heros
Warlord with weeping blade enchanted shield and talisman of protection
Cheiftan with BSB banner of the under empire
Engineer with level 2 wizard and dispel scroll
Engineer with doom rocket

Core
40 clanrats + shields and spears with full command + poison wind mortar
40 clanrats + shields and spears with full command + poison wind mortar
40 Slaves + musician
15 giant rats + packmaster

Special
3 rat ogres with pack master
3 rat ogres with pack master

Rare
Doomwheel

Thanks for the help!

Psiclops
Ancient Muppet

Re: List advice for skaven

Post by Psiclops » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:35 pm

Rat Ogres and Giant Rats vulnerability is losing their handlers to missle fire before they engage, so always i) take the max number of handlers you can ii) put them in larger units so more handlers need to be lost before they are subject to Stupidity. So 6 Rat Ogres with 3 handlers would be better (and 15+3 for Rats - 25 + 5 ideally !). Caveat here is that even then, they aren't that great, most generals will know to take out the handlers, and will have a way of doing it anyway. Also, try to keep them in range of your general and BSB, so you have a chance of passing the Stupidity test !

Latedave
Ancient Muppet

Post by Latedave » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:33 pm

Ive only played Skaven twice but I thought the Giant Rats werent too impressive. The Ogres were much more annoying but im not an experienced fantasy player so im sure James is right. Basically you want to win a war of attrition with your nasty units smashing face so I'd probably drop the rats to boost the clanrats to 50 each and maybe find some points for their assassin dude whos really irritating

Psiclops
Ancient Muppet

Post by Psiclops » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:41 pm

The most powerful build for Skaven tends to revolve around large (40-50 ish) slave units, and a Grey seer on bell - Slaves within range of the (seer) general and BSB can effectively be Ld 10 (7 from General +3 for 4+ ranks), Steadfast with rerolls on break tests - and as they are slaves, your missile weapons and casters can STILL fire at the units they are engaged in close combat with ! Ideal equipment for Slaves imho is shield + sling - 3 points/model - they're only BS 2, but with the front 2 ranks firing 10 wide, multi-shot, the sheer number of dice make it suprisingly effective. Main issue is the £ cost of the sling upgrades, and the cost of extra models for using the clanrats as slaves ! But Spear and Shield work too !

Once at higher points I would also have a decent sized unit of Stormvermin with the Standard of Discipline to push the bell, giving +1 Ld to your Seer which he can project to everyone within 18" due to being on a large target. I would keep the BSB build without a magic banner - his equipment should focus as much as possible on defense as his primary job is to stay alive and give re-rolls to break/panic/fear/terror tests.

This is of course, once you are at 2400 points, you can't take the 440 min points Seer on Bell at 1600 - but you can do a mini version of what to aim for by taking him on foot perhaps - he'll need a ward save and maybe skalm to keep him alive ?

So with the mini's you have, I'd change it slightly :

Take 2 of the clanrat units as slaves (ultimately I'd take all 3 as slaves), and bunker a Grey Seer in the 3rd, along with a defensively built BSB (perhaps just with BSB, Dragonhelm and Opal Amulet - keeps him with a back-up 6+ parry save after the 1 use ward). Put the Rat Ogres into 1 unit with an extra packmaster, and increase the giant rats packmasters to maximum, and the unit to 25+5 if you can (or drop them entirely - and add their handler to the Ogres if those are the only ones you have !). I'd take the Warlocks just as 2 level 1's rather than a 2 and zero if you have the Seer, as you just want them for Warp-Lightening.

Basic plan is to have the bunker unit with characters in behind the slaves and Rat Ogres, and not in combat for as long as possible - engage elite troops with the slaves which should hold fine due to Steadfast and high Ld from the general & BSB, try to get the Rat Ogres into combat before they go stupid and continue to rain down Warp-lightening from the Seer and Warlocks on the slaves and opponents units in combat.

Return to “The games people play”