Relics - another shiny game i thought I'd share

Let's talk about toy soldiers
Forum rules
Be excellent to each other.
Chilledenuff

Relics - another shiny game i thought I'd share

Post by Chilledenuff » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:13 am

It's been around for a while now (i remember looking at some preeviews 18 months ago) but they are now releasing starter packs (if you are 1 of the first 450 to like them on thier facebook page you can win 2 free!). They've called it 'Stitchpunk' and it looks quite cool:

link to thier website

official blurb wrote:Enter the world of Relics, a table top wargame set in the quite unique stitchpunk world created by Tor Gaming.

In Relics, players control forces comprising of several units as diverse as black powder musket wielding dolls to clockwork powered fighting machines to battle for the fate of the world and see their faction to victory. Forces of magic saturated elemental creatures battle against creatures of teeth and claw. Using a fast paced core mechanic, the game delivers furious action on the table top. Players must use their tactical genius to out manoeuvre their opponent before delivering the killer blow. Relics is a miniatures table top wargame in the 28mm scale range.

Looks very nice. I especially like the Brittanic minis:

There are 3 factions; the Britanan, the Orcnar and the Vaettir.

The Britanan:
Driven to insanity by the magic that destroyed his empire the king has ordered the construction of a new army. Using the few Royal craftsmen that still live to create his army and the magic of his Royal Guard to give them life King Jorje is determined to achieve new goals; the rebuilding of his Empire, the conquest of the lands that were once held in his name and the destruction of the enemies who brought about the downfall of the Britanan.

The Orcnar:
The death of the shamans, the magic and the old ways has been taken as a sign that the Orcnar have lost their connection to the land. They know it was nothing that they had done in the past. The few surviving elders tell tales of other races visiting their lands and the new blood have decided this is the reason for the slow death of their species. The Orcnar are on the rampage, looking for vengeance. They have no regard for their own safety in battle and they have an unquenchable hunger to punish all those who cross their path.

The Vaettir:
The Vaettir themselves do not escape the suffering. The former masters of magic, realising that they have doomed the very world they were trying to save, attempt to absorb the uncontrolled power that washes over all corners of their world. Their bodies are saturated with the magic until their bodies no longer resemble the beings they once were. In an attempt to control the elemental forces of their planet they have turned themselves into living versions of those forces, able to gain control over earth, air, fire and water and use it to their ends. The devastation that the elements can cause is slowly twisting their minds in a similar way to their bodies. The sheer destructive force behind earthquakes, tornadoes, wild fires and floods is flowing through the very veins of the Vaettir.
Smile! It's not that bad!
'05: Pixie Jam Trophy winner
'07: A Small Matter of Honour Runner Up
'11: Bruce McGrath Award
'12: Bruce McGrath Award
'14: Pixie Jam Trophy Winner
'15: Bruce McGrath Award
1974-Present: Awful dice rolls

poi
Chief Muppet

Re: Relics - another shiny game i thought I'd share

Post by poi » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:06 am

Stop it Les. You've dragged me kicking and screaming into Malifaux, I won't remember another rule set at the same time.
Poi

Chilledenuff

Post by Chilledenuff » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:13 am

Lo! I'm not planning to start this (well this year at any rate!) unless I happen to be one of the lucky winners. I've got enough irons in the fire with Malifaux, Warmachine, 7TV and Freebooter' Fate, not to mention the GW games I play :P . I'm just putting it out there foe everyone to look at.

Chilledenuff

Post by Chilledenuff » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:43 pm

Maelstrom now sell this :shifty:

Chilledenuff

Post by Chilledenuff » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:35 am

Chilledenuff wrote:Lol! I'm not planning to start this (well this year at any rate!) unless I happen to be one of the lucky winners. [snip]

I am one of the lucky winners! Britannan and Orcnar chosen

Chilledenuff

Post by Chilledenuff » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:30 am

Chilledenuff

Post by Chilledenuff » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:33 pm

Needed to get a commander for each force so I've ordered a Royal Guard and a Beorn. This gives me the following 2 armies:

Britanans:
Royal Guard 50 points
Troopers (9) 54 points
Grenadiers (3) 63 points
Dragoons (2) 24 points

Total: 191 points

Orcnar:
Beorn 65 points
Unmann (3) 42 points
Eotan Rifan 43 points
Docga (2) 46 points

Total: 196 points

All numbers in parenthesis denote number of models. If there are no numbers in parentheses then it's a solitary model.

daniel_cave00
The muppet with many names

Post by daniel_cave00 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:39 pm

The nutcracker soldiers look awesome! I look forward to our game sir
The muppet with many names

2011 - Mavis
2010 - Randolph
2009 - Sally
2008 - Ben

Migraines suck!!!

Chilledenuff

Post by Chilledenuff » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:58 pm

relics rulebook wrote:Dice and How We Use Them

You will only need six sided dice for Relics. The results of the rolls are worked out one of two ways, depending on what you are trying to achieve.
Generally, dice will be rolled in groups and you will need to count the number of doubles you rolled. Generally, we are not worried about the value of the double, just the number of them. However, there are some situations where we look for specific values. These will be covered in the respective sections.

Secondly, you may also be required to either roll a single die and compare the result with a target number, or to roll two dice and add the values together, and compare this result with a target number. These methods of rolling the dice and working out the results are discussed in depth later.

Note: Generally, a die is only counted once when rolling and counting your doubles. We are only concerned with complete sets of doubles. For example, the third die in a “treble” is not counted and will have no effect, and a “quadruple” is effectively two doubles. If special rules break this rule, they will expand on the way to deal with this.

Rerolls
Some rules allow dice to be rerolled. In these instances, all rerolls need to be rolled at the same time and a die can only be rerolled once per action. So, if a unit is allowed to reroll multiple dice (maybe a spell has been cast on it allowing a reroll as well as the unit having the ability natively), the player must make all rerolls at the same time.

Interesting. So doubles are the mechanic, not numbers. This could change everything! i can roll plenty of double 1s! :D

Chilledenuff

Post by Chilledenuff » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:31 pm

tor gaming wrote:Stage one of the Relics beta will be out in about a week. This will be a un-formatted, no diagram version. Stage two, including diagrams will be a couple of weeks later.

Return to “The games people play”