Rab, still on for 6th May?

Want a game? Post here to find an opponent. Once you've got one, don't forget to book a table here http://sadmuppets.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=72
Forum rules
Be excellent to each other
pgarfunkle
Grownup Muppet

Rab, still on for 6th May?

Post by pgarfunkle » Sun May 04, 2014 11:30 am

Hi Rab,

Just checking we are still good for a game this week?

Cheers

Richard
I've got a bad feeling about this...

Rab
Ancient Muppet

Re: Rab, still on for 6th May?

Post by Rab » Sun May 04, 2014 12:53 pm

Richard,

Yes, Still on. I have a list prepared :)

Going to take some time to experiment to settle on a longer term stable list, as there are some fun options to be had...

Generally pleased with the new book. New options, lots more punch, lots of choice in spell lores, still fragile, forest spirits not needed to build a competitive list, free wood is a full size citadel wood..oh and wild riders/waywatchers are just awesome :)

A few options obviously got caught in play testing and got restricted, which is a pain. Waystalker with bow of Loren have been awesome, but nerfed to 1 attack. Still might be worth taking though....2 sniper, no armour save shots at BS 7 or 4 sniper shots at BS7 for taking out mages...might still be worth a gamble. Bow of Loren can't be used with enchanted arrows anymore, so no 5 shot -3 AS shots from a war dancer :) Branchwraiths can only have life, so no spamming Wyssans wild form on fighty heroes with hatred.

One thing I have noticed is that despite an apparent decrease in points across the board, it is very hard to fit the things you would want. Special is very crowded!

...should be fun!

Rab.

pgarfunkle
Grownup Muppet

Post by pgarfunkle » Mon May 05, 2014 12:19 pm

Excellent, yep looks to be a lot more options to choose from in the new book. Looking forward to seeing them on the table

Rab
Ancient Muppet

Thoughts after first game with new wood elves

Post by Rab » Wed May 07, 2014 1:16 pm

Thanks for the game Richard! sorry for being a little late and then having to move my car...I think we might have finished the game otherwise.

It was a 400 point victory to the wood elves in the end 1/2 way through turn 3. I think however that the eternal guard in the wood may have beaten the saurus and then it would have came down to could the slaan/temple guard unit killing enough with magic while getting whittled down by way watchers to recover the victory!

Initial thoughts.

1) The new book is a lot more competitive, I don't think there is anything massively overpowered in there.
2) Waywatchers are excellent, and 2x10 ( or as close as you can get with points ) will be a staple in every list. The choice of no armour save or multiple shots with BS5 and skirmish is pretty brutal.
3) Wild Riders hit VERY hard, but are still really fragile at T3 and one wound ( you can add shields for a 4++..but this feels a little wrong to me ), so as always you need to pick your targets well.
4) The new free wood is MUCH bigger than the old one, and you can easily drop two largish units in there to benefit from the fight in extra rank and re rolls of 1 to wound., not to mention the +1 to cast any spell ( for a +5 for your level 4! ).
5) A unit of 10 Glade Guard with the Trueflight arrows is VERY useful. only S3, but everything on 3s regardless of having moved, cover, range, skirmish etc is massive.
6) A big unit (20) of Glade Guard with the Arcane Bodkins ( -3 to armour save ) is also excellent.
small units of scouts parked in a forest will be useful to harry oponnents chaff and can hold up against small units pretty well.
7) ASF makes a massive difference to elves in combat. I5 usually gives rerolls, which makes GG in a forest with ranks pretty useful! fighting in 3 ranks with WS4 and rerolls to hit, and rerolls of 1 to wound isn't all that bad.
9) Eternal guard in a forest are also excellent. Asrai spear means fighting in +1 rank, this combined with the Forest Stalker rules results in fighting in 4 ranks with WS5, ASF, AP spears. They have lost their 2 attacks but still thats pretty nice. And also being 'stubborn' they are also steadfast in woods.
10) Magic selection will be critical I think. I used High Magic and picked the wrong spells, which meant on most turns I was left with loads of magic dice. I think you really meed a hero level mage of some sort to add some variation.
11) The high magic lore attribute is very nice. Having protection counters that you can use when a model in the unit takes a wound is brilliant ( especially when your wizard miscasts and takes a S6 hit! ), but must remember to add them when casting spells!

In short, I think It will be fun to play. There are a lot of build options and the enchanted arrows really open different playstyles. ( Trueflight for fast moving, evasive, hit em at 30" on 3s! ), Arcane Bodkins for stand still and shoot armour, Hagbane for shootinghigh Toughness gribblies. SwiftShiver ( multiple shots (2) ) to turn the sky black with 200 shots per turn :)

pgarfunkle
Grownup Muppet

Post by pgarfunkle » Wed May 07, 2014 4:20 pm

Hi Rab, no worries stuff happens.

It would definitely have been interesting to see what happened by the end of the game, I think your uber miscast may have enabled me to swing the combat in my direction with the Slann casting regrowth and buffing the Saurus while going for the remains of the archers in the woods. I’m just not sure how I would have dealt with the remaining Waywatchers and the smaller unit of Guard as they would probably have skewered my remaining Sallie before he could get close to them.

Either way it was a really enjoyable game (read: terrifying whenever Rab picked up a handful of dice to either shoot or attack in combat with lots of re-rolling).

Wild Riders are definitely a heavy hitting unit and I’m glad that I managed to buff the Cold Ones and hex your charging unit otherwise it would have been a totally different result there. Even so you managed to kill the entire back row in one go!

In regards to magic as you say the wound counter is a nice little touch and I’m curious how Dark magic will play for the Woodies with it seeming to be a more offensive lore & attribute. I think part of the reason that you had a lot of dice spare did come down to the fact that we had 3 or 4 big magic phases (I think we each had a box cars!), I wonder if this is where the Sisters could come in as they can act as a second caster with an extra chance to channel too! As you said they are also a special choice so you would perhaps have to scale back on Wild Riders or elsewhere in the list.

The forest bunker is a massive boost and I should definitely have sent my Sallies after that rather than chase the Wild Riders once they got behind my units. The extra attacking rank and re-rolls to wounds along with the casting bonus is a great benefit.

Stand out unit has to be the big block of Glade Guard that managed to chase off my not so killy Old Blood in close combat!

Looking forward to facing off against the Woodies again, and I will need to hurry up and finish my Lizards so that I can get started on my own Woodies!

Return to “Finding a game”